Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another portostudio production-Velvet Underground Cover

Thanks

Another portostudio production-Velvet Underground Cover

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is a cover of the song "Jesus" by The Velvet Underground, one of the greatest bands ever.

I've always loved this song, and decided to do my own version of it.

Done on a Tascam 424 mkII and mixed down to garageband.
    I've never recorded a cover song, so I was excited to do one. I was thinking about "Heroin", but that seemed kind of obvious and way out of my league...so I picked another great one.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Thanks
    I am hearing what sounds like a little distortion in the vocals - bear in mind I am listening on a pair of microscopic unpowered PC speakers at the moment. I will give it a listen when I get back to the house later.

AK

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by analogkid View Post
    I am hearing what sounds like a little distortion in the vocals - bear in mind I am listening on a pair of microscopic unpowered PC speakers at the moment. I will give it a listen when I get back to the house later.

AK
    Good ears analog! A new mp3 has been uploaded. I think it was just pushed up a little to hot. I made sure the levels are lower. Thanks.

Thanks
    Awesome, giving it another listen - I'm suprised I heard anything on these crappy speakers, but I guess it goes back to what one of my old instructors used to call the 'worst radio on the beach' effect - basically if your mix doesn't sound good on a crappy radio/stereo, then you need to go back and remix.

AK

Thanks
    Heck yeah, that sounds nice!

AK

Thanks

Arrow Aw, shucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ksounds View Post
    I've never recorded a cover song, so I was excited to do one.
    Welcome aboard! Never recorded a cover? My SC page must have you delerious, then!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob
    ... subtleties of sound make a difference to those who really listen.

Thanks
    Very nice recording. Great warm sound, and I like the amount of verb on the vocals.

There are a few tuning issues here and there on the vocals (especially the harmonies), but when they're in tune, they sound great.

Nice job!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Reel...I've seen your sc page, and I'm a big fan of your Ramones covers

Analog...thanks for the checking out the repost, glad it sounds better level wise.

Beagle...I know the spots you are talking about, and it kind of irks me. To be honest, this is the first song I've done with vocal harmonies, and during the tracking it sounded fine...of course after I broke everything down I noticed some of the spotty areas

But, I'm living in the moment, and hopefully the vibe is enough to make up for some of the spotty vocals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ksounds View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Reel...I've seen your sc page, and I'm a big fan of your Ramones covers

Analog...thanks for the checking out the repost, glad it sounds better level wise.

Beagle...I know the spots you are talking about, and it kind of irks me. To be honest, this is the first song I've done with vocal harmonies, and during the tracking it sounded fine...of course after I broke everything down I noticed some of the spotty areas

But, I'm living in the moment, and hopefully the vibe is enough to make up for some of the spotty vocals

If that's the first time you've done harmonies, then hats off to you. You did a great job. Like I said, when they were on, they sounded really nice.
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Thanks again Beagle. Picking it apart, I can hear, that by the third verse I have it. The third verse locks in. The first and second verse have their moments, and there is a an issue of pitch with the dissonant vocal part during the bridge section in one or two parts.

I wish I would have spent a little more time "listening" to it during the track review. I'm sure I could have gone back and locked in the first and second verses all the way, but as it is, I'm happy enough with it as I had a really fun time recording and mixing it on a nice quiet Saturday afternoon. I may go back and revisit it, or I may not, I can't decide. I almost don't want to touch it, being my first attempt at vocal harmony, so I have a reference for posterity. I plan on doing more with vocal harmonies on my own songs because of this experience.

And the reverbs were a mix of the Lexicon Alex and Midiverb II. I really love reverb on vocals...not so much acoustic if I'm laying it on thick for the vocals, like I did here. I like the way the acoustic sits in there kind of dry. The bass is completely dry. Nothin on it but some compression. The solo acoustic bendy notes were played during the backing harmony tracks, so I can't do much about the reverb levels there.

Thread Information