Another Ampex Analog Recorder...Technically Speaking

Video deck? That looks like the same transport they used for the rare MM-800 1" 8-track recorder. The MM-800 used AG-440 electronics mated to a modded video transport I believe. I'm not sure any of these decks made it beyond the marketing stage. I always wondered what the niche was for this deck ... I think they were trying to replace the AG-300 8-track, and they were afraid the AG-440 transport would not pull 1" tape well enough.

More info here:

AMPEX MM-800 Tape Machine

Logging recorder, I'd imagine. Not least because there seems to be a shedload of I/O at the top.

Video deck? That looks like the same transport they used for the rare MM-800 1" 8-track recorder. The MM-800 used AG-440 electronics mated to a modded video transport I believe. I'm not sure any of these decks made it beyond the marketing stage. I always wondered what the niche was for this deck ... I think they were trying to replace the AG-300 8-track, and they were afraid the AG-440 transport would not pull 1" tape well enough.

More info here:

AMPEX MM-800 Tape Machine

Data recorder...FR-1300, and yes it is the transport used for the MM-800 which, according to all sources with which I've interacted, indeed never made it past mock-up. Ampex decided to kludge the 1/4" ~ 1/2" AG-440 transport for 1" tape allegedly because the FR-1300 transport would put the 1" 8-track way beyond the price-point of the competition, but it is a FAR superior transport...good gracious...those instrumentation boys knew how to build a transport.

14-track IRIG format on 1" tape, servo capstan with 6 speeds from 1 7/8 IPS to 60 IPS front panel selectable...more detail and pics to follow.

So I know this is a bit of a stretch for this forum since the FR-1300 isn't an audio-band analog tape recorder/reproducer, but I had to share...and as Donny pointed out, the FR-1300 transport *was* nearly an audio-band machine in the MM-800 project.

I don't know what I'm going to do with this thing. Probably nothing. There are two kinds of amplifier modules fitted to these machines, "Direct" mode type and "FM" type. The "Direct" type have been used with some marginal success for audio use but the results are just that: marginal, and only 7 tracks can be used, and noise reduction is necessary, and the LF response isn't that great...and 30ips is pretty much necessary (so you end up getting less mileage out of a reel of tape). And you have to build up a sync relay module if you plan on doing any overdubbing. Major kludge. And a non-option for me anyway because my FR-1300 is fitted with FM modules.

The alternative is to try and fit audio heads to the headblock. Upon initial investigation this may be possible. I have a partial set of quarter track 1" heads built for an MM-1000...I'd been thinking about using these for essentially 1/2" mastering on 1" tape...could flip the tape over and get over an hour of 1/2" halftrack mastering on a reel of 1" tape...but it wouldn't work to setup the MM-1000 for this because I'd want to master multitrack projects off the same machine. Maybe this is what the FR-1300 will become.

The FR-1300 was produced in a racked version and the "portable" version like mine...portable because it's in a self-contained case. That's really where portable ends. It's about 24" x 18" x 12", and weighs 110lbs.

Built like a tank.

image.jpg

At least there are some very robust flip-up handles:

image.jpg

As jpmorris pointed out, there is a busy I/O panel on the top primarily via BNC connectors:

image.jpg

At the back is a hinged panel...access to the amplifier modules is behind the louvered section at the too, transport electronics, motors, power supplies accessible through the bottom half:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Taking a closer look at the transport/tape path:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'll spare the details but there are more pics of the guts...a preamp cage with little plug-in amplifier PCBs, plug-in servo electronics card bay, 12V bipolar power supply for the ES100 series FM record/reproduce amps, etc.

I pulled the dress panel off...a lot of complicated linkages for the various solenoid functions, but effective. Very heavy webbed cast transport plate...note the reel tables are belt driven. I assume this is to dampen any mechanical cogging "noise" in the tape path considering this machine's intended application. And the headblock is 100% plug-in, and a *substantial* build...wow.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here are a couple YouTube videos showing the initial power-up, and then one of the operation of the transport and a brief tour of features:

YouTube

YouTube

Pinch roller is a little firm but in okay shape...belts are functional but need replaced. I'm sure the transport needs a tune up. Reel idler bearings are good. Capstan bearings sound like they could stand to be replaced which is not a job I can do on a servo capstan motor. FFWD doesn't work. I suspect a relay issue. Otherwise? It works! It's not been run in a long time methinks. I believe it was original sold to Boeing in 1966. I got the full manual set with it...it's huge and very comprehensive. Excellent manuals. The binders were filthy but I already cleaned them up and good news every last page is there and in overall excellent condition. Only one out of hundreds of pages had any marking on it.

Price of admission? Free.

Last edited:
First off, thanks for posting the additional pics! That is quite the beast and love how they consider a 110 pound unit portable by putting a handle on it! :laughings:

Prior to you posting those images I did a quick image search for additional pics and there's virtually nothing out there except one other pic from a concluded ebay sale in England where it sold for 300 bucks. Your deal is eminently better! :D

But more to the point, these images serve as a new record in the history books and as such are extremely important and valuable!

My search also brought up pics of the 900 model which NASA used during the Apollo program and a restoration project that was being conducted to retrieve some lost imagery from that mission. So Ampex has a real place in the history books of space exploration which I believe TEAC later stepped inro the role as head data recorder contractor with NASA.

Anyway, very glad to see this beast in your trusty hands and know it will have no better owner to perhaps keep it from the scrap heaps and possibly restore it to some state of usability!

Cheers! :)

Its worth every dollar you paid for it. My favorite electronic surplus warehouse had a half dozen of those on the floor for years. Last year they busted them up for the aluminum.

I saw one of these for sale once. Can you use it for audio? A 14 track analog field recorder would be nice to have...

You can only use it for audio if it has the "Direct Mode" modules installed, and at that it would be only 7 tracks, and you'd need to build a sync box for it...and you'd probably want noise reduction...it is SO not a good option for what you are talking about. Sonically you might even do better with 8-track cassette as the LF response on a kludged instrumentation recorder is not good.

And keep in mind its 18" x 24" x 12" and 110lbs+.

And 1" tape costs for only 7 tracks and narrow tracks at that.

Bad idea. Are you getting the drift? :D

I would jump at a TSR-8 or MSR-16 for 8 or 16 tracks on 1/2" tape...far better sonically and far advanced tape handling, etc. those would be smaller and weigh less and perform much better.

My interest in this thing is solely for the transport, but I'm not even sure why yet.

Sounds like it could be vertically rack mountable with those dimensions!

Sure would love to have a nice head on shot of it, (the transport deck surface, that is), like the first shot but straight on...when you get a chance of course! :)

Sounds like it could be vertically rack mountable with those dimensions!

Sure would love to have a nice head on shot of it, (the transport deck surface, that is), like the first shot but straight on...when you get a chance of course! :)

Gotta clean it up a little first. :D

But I knew the question was coming. :p

Yes the FR-1300 came in "portable" and rack mounted versions. The dress panel is the same but there are ears for mounting it in the rack which I don't have of course, but I'm sure they could easily be made. I haven't had a chance really to look at the internal structure to determine just how complicated that would be.

Gotta clean it up a little first. :D

But I knew the question was coming. :p

Yes the FR-1300 came in "portable" and rack mounted versions. The dress panel is the same but there are ears for mounting it in the rack which I don't have of course, but I'm sure they could easily be made. I haven't had a chance really to look at the internal structure to determine just how complicated that would be.

Cool!

Yeah, I kind of got a brainstorm about putting it into rack stand of some sort, (in Photoshop) and creating a unique backdrop scene from NASA or a similar 60's retro techno setting. ;)

I had a portable Alesis HD24 rig that weighed about that when taking preamps, cables, and a line mixer for monitoring into consideration. If practicality was a concern, we'd all probably stop using tape anyhow... ;)

I figured as much on everything you said. Nice to daydream about possibilities tho -

:)

Sweetbeats,

Can you give us a more exact dimension of the top plate of the transport which includes the grey rubber gasket that goes around it?

I know you mentioned 18x24 inches but that was for the overall unit, right?

I need the exact dimensions in order to do a render of it properly that isn't distorted in any way.

Also, about that head on pic that I asked for, the machine doesn't need to be cleaned up, as I can do all that in Photoshop. ;)

The face-plate is 22.50" x 17.75" measured at the outside edge of the rubber gasket.

BTW this is what the rack-mount FR-1300 looks like:

image.jpg

Well, with a transport like that, I'd imagine you could build your own multitrack recorder, given enough parts and time. Good find :)

Back