Another Ampex Analog Recorder...Technically Speaking

I came across your YouTube videos on this and it is about the only images and information I have been able to find out about these machines so thank you for documenting what you have found!

At the moment I am trying to hunt down one of these machines, I doubt I'll get one for the sweet price you did but anything would be great as I'm keen to get some data off some tapes I have. All I know is they were recorded on one of these machines but not the format/modules so I'll have to do a bit of experimenting. Has anyone heard of people with a collection of these gathering dust or do you want to free up some space and cash for a different deck sweetbeats :D

Greetings and welcome!

I’m glad the YouTube videos are of interest.

Regarding your search, look for a Private Message from me here in a bit.

Best I can do at the moment, it's the big grey box, need to clear a lot of stuff to get at it. I think there maybe some brand new tapes for it in the loft

IMG_20211024_165124.jpg

reminds me of something from the Outer Limits (the Galaxy Being!)

That's a neat rack mount 'scope. What are the other three boxes below it? I'm trying to kick the gear acquisition habit, but this looks pretty cool.

The shed is veritable alladins cave for anyone in electronics. There's some bruel and kjaer 1/3 octave filters, wave analysers, vibracorder, peavey amp, galvanometer, mini rack preamp, potentiometer, monitors, old a meters, alphanumeric printer and god knows what else. I have no idea how much still works, was thinking of putting it all on ebay for £300 and saying help yourself

Back