Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Analogue (tascam 488) to digital

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Would this be what I would need to get all 8 tracks out at once? Alesis I/O26 I can get one of a friend for 180ish. Also I could use this instead of my current USB interface right?

I'm hoping not to use the computer unless absolutely necessary...I think the band I mentioned would do the same - just using it for mastering, or the occasional overdub but I'm not sure.

My laptop is an HP g61, so pretty standard really, 4gb ram, 320 gb hdd - is reaper the better program?

Thanks again for your help
    http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/j...mandtheoutlaws <<< please 'subscribe' by entering your email...you will not get spammed, we just need a certain amount of potential fans before our project is approved. thank you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will25 View Post
    Would this be what I would need to get all 8 tracks out at once? Alesis I/O26 I can get one of a friend for 180ish. Also I could use this instead of my current USB interface right?

I'm hoping not to use the computer unless absolutely necessary...I think the band I mentioned would do the same - just using it for mastering, or the occasional overdub but I'm not sure.

My laptop is an HP g61, so pretty standard really, 4gb ram, 320 gb hdd - is reaper the better program?

Thanks again for your help
    Yeah - that IF looks good and has enough inputs. Price seems decent. Built in FW on laptops can be a crap shoot. Best backup plan is if the laptop has a slot for a PC/CARD so you can pick up a TI chipset based FW card - or whatever the manufacturer states as supported...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Its up to you and how you want to manage the workflow, really.

You could track to the 488 and then dump the tracks to the computer. Note that the 488 does not have dedicated tape track outputs...there IS a way to dump 8 tracks simultaneously out of the 488 but it is a little kludgey...it WORKS though. And also note that if you did want to dump all 8 tracks simultaneously (to avoid having to try to line them up in the DAW) your current interface won't do it.

Another option is to track to the 488 and then mix on the 488 and record the 2-track master to the computer...basically using the computer as the mastering recorder.

Yet another option is like the last one only mastering to some other analog medium (like a stereo cassette deck or an open reel halftrack) and then dump the analog master to the computer.

All of these processes are common and your task is to find out which one fits you best. Since you already have everything to accomplish the 2nd option I think it would be best for you try that out and see if it works for you. It will likely promote more of a "lo-fi" sound compared to the 1st option in significant part to the process.

What are the specs of your current laptop? I mean, I remember doing 24-bit/48kHz 8 track projects on a P3-450 laptop with 256mb ram and a 4200rpm hdd. Don't get fooled into thinking you need to change your hardware. Often times its a configuration and os/drive maintenance issue. My current studio PC would be scoff-worthy according to some but it works for me: P4 3.4gHz with 4gb pc5300 ram. I've done some special things with the drive array to manage data bandwidth since that is often the real bottleneck (i.e. Its a sff chassis and there's only one ide buss and one data port, so I've got an ata133 7200rpm drive on the use buss for the system drive and pair of 7200rpm sata2 laptop drives in a little raid enclosure that slides into the 3.5" drive bay and that's on the sata port in a striped array for tracking). Point is its a P4 single core machine but I have no trouble tracking 24 tracks at 24-bit/48kHz with very low latency and I've run tests reproducing 48 tracks at the same resolution while recording a couple tracks and with a couple vi's and about 3 plugins running and its no problem.
    I know there was an article on dumping all 8 tracks at once years ago. can anyone either point me to it or reprint it? I remember it was "messy" but it worked. I have a KORG D3200 and finally am getting around to transferring the tracks. I had the article saved on a now dead Dell computer.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thnks
    moo

Thanks
    https://homerecording.com/bbs/user-f...-488-a-338002/

Was searching for it last night! Excellent guide
    http://www.pledgemusic.com/artists/j...mandtheoutlaws <<< please 'subscribe' by entering your email...you will not get spammed, we just need a certain amount of potential fans before our project is approved. thank you!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Got it thanks!
    I just tried it and it works great! Some of the tracks are pretty hot comingout of th 488 and you can't control them, so I had to pad all the inputs on the d3200 so they wouldn't clip.I now have 8 digital tracks and with the effects on the 3200 they are sounding better than ever.
    I was going to sell the 488 a while a go, but I am glad i didn't.
    Thanks again
    moo

Thanks
    Is there much needed doing to the tracks? I remember grimtraveller mentioning that track 8 needed some work...

Thanks
    All the tracks transferred perfectly. The only issues I found was the EQ on some tracks needed tweaking.
    Remember I have a 488MKII. I am thinking it is a different beast than the 488?
    Also there are no effects being transferred.I had an Alesis Microverb and a Micro compressor as outboard effects when I used the 488.
    Just for interest I recorded 2 country CDs with the 488 MKII and Mastered them with Sound Forge. These were good enough to sell off stage at jamborees etc.
    I think I waited almost 8 years to enter the digital domain. I was waiting for the right machine and the right time.
    By the time I pulled the trigger Korg had stopped making the D3200s.
    I got mine on ebay.
    No matter what anyone says from 8 tracks to 32 tracks is awesome. I can record 12 tracks at once. There is just no way to compare.
    Ii learned everything I know on the 488 and got a lot of help on the first version of this forum.
    Keep at it and thanks for the info.
    Later
    moo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will25 View Post
    Is there much needed doing to the tracks?
    That's dependent on what's on the tracks. Anything coming off the effects sends may or may not. Anything coming from the headphones may or may not. The stuff off the sync on track 8 is the most likely to.
    What I've been doing once the tracks are in my DAW is to erase anything on any track where there is no sound to totally eliminate any risk of bleed, just clean ups. The effects sends tracks have all kinds of sound on them when there's no music. But where there is music, the signal to noise ratio ensures no problems.
    Also, processing the tracks is a personal thing. You may judge that they need it or not.

Thanks

488 tracks to digital

If you have an 8-tracks interface, you can export 8 tracks from tascam 488 mk1 to computer. Example:
    1 (max L), 2 (max R), 3 (max L), 4 (max R) with the four RCA out (1/2, 3/4)
    5 (vol effect 1), 6 (vol effect 2) with the two effect sends
    7 (vol CUE) with the stereo out for headphones (used like mono)
    8 with the RCA OUT of SYNCH, it's not made for, but the signal works, but without the dbx! (but you can use the digital track after to resynch manualy on your PC or MAC with a new Tascam play, with track 8 on another out)
    Maybe there is another method, but this one works! I edited some songs with

Thanks
    I think he sorted it out in the last 7 years since he posted...

Thread Information