Analog (LP's) to digital conversions

Audiophile

I'd like to try to convert some old classical Vinyl LP's into a digital format by transfering them onto the hard drive of my PC and then creating a CD.

I hope preserve as much of the musical fidelity of these analog recordings as possible. Is there a way to input the signal
directly from a turntable (or pre-amp?) into
a 16 bit sound card? The RCA type connections and cabling of my stereo do not
seem compatable with sound blaster type cards, and I'm not sure they will accept
a phono signal directly. Can it be done?

I have the following equipment available(what else would I need?);

Turn table, pre-amp, power amp, 24 bit DAC,
RCA type cabling, 16 bit sound card, CD-writer and SCSI HD. Various shareware/freeware MP3 applications.

Hey--here's what you do, done easy (except if you have to move your PC or stereo system). My portable CD player came with the cable to plug the portable CD player (from a 1/8" jack on the player) into my stereo's RCA CD jacks. I'm sure you can get such a plug at almost any department store (Target, Walmart, etc.). Just hook that up to the tape outs of your stereo system and plug that into your soundcard on the PC which on most cards is a stereo line in with a 1/8" jack. If the cable isn't long enough, just buy some headphone extension cable which will do the trick just fine. When you play your records on your home stereo the signal is usually routed to the tape outs (which most us use to recard cassettes). This signal would be plenty hot to send to a soundcard (a turntable's signal is very weak and needs extra boosting--if you plug your turntable into the CD ins of your stereo by mistake you will know when your stereo barely makes a sound). Most stereos with a "phono in" plug have a built in turntable preamp. Other than that, you will need some recording software which should have come with your CD-R. Also, check to see if you CD-R has a direct input which would allow you to bypass your sound card. If you have an external CD-R, you might. If it is built right into the computer, probably not unless it is right on the face of the drive unit. It should be a big deal, though. If your computer doesn't have decent software for recording check the internet for some freeware. I use WinAmp (www.winamp.com) and it sounds pretty good with songs I find on the internet.

Peace, Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Marquard (edited 12-21-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jim Marquard (edited 12-21-1999).]

Sound s to me like all you have to do is go to the nearest Radio Shack store and get a cable to plug it in. They will have the cable tou need. Two RCA plugs on one end and a mini stereo on the other.

Hope this helps.

Griz

One important thing--the phono preamp has a built in equalizer. If you don't use one the recording from the LP will sound tinny and bass-shy. LPs were recorded with a cut in the bass and a boost in the highs to overcome physical limitations of a stylus running in the groove. The phono preamp eq restores the proper spectral balance. The suggestion that you run the turntable through your hifi (if it has a phono preamp) is a good one (just make sure you use a line level out such as a tape send. If you want to test this out yourself, try plug the turntable into any input (e.g. tape, auxiliary or CD) other than the phono. It will sound anemic. Good luck!

Man

I have been looking for this info for several months since I got my CD R.

Ok

So I got the jack to RCA lead and I know my Phono stuff - but.. where I'm lost is; what software do I need to record in a format that will play like a normal everyday CD when I cut it - will my soundblaster software do this?

It seems to need a two step approach;

1) I record the vinyl to the hard drive using my audio card and recording software

2) then I cut to Cd from the files I just created.

Not knowing much about different audio formats - what software will record from my audio card in a native digital format that I can then just cut to CD ?

I have WinAmp but I cant see how that does anything for me but playback of MP3's (cannot find a record function anywhere)

any replies will be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Eric the Bear (edited 02-23-2000).]

Eric,

all you need is something like goldwave or soundforge or cooledit. In otherwords, a program designed for working with stereo wav files. Many demo's are available.

Wav format is what you want to use, and all of the above work in that. Pretty much the standard.

Once you have recorded your wav file in software, it's just a matter of recording it via your cd-recording software. Adaptec EZ-CD is pretty easy. Just select the audio tab, drag and drop the wav files and burn away.

Thanks Emeric

That's the clues I was looking for - Adaptec EX CD Creater is what I use (came with my Sony CD R)

I'll give it a burl and see how I go.

cheers
Eric

Back