Thread: Analog gurus: Would this recording format work?

Thanks

Analog gurus: Would this recording format work?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm stuck in limbo. Can't decide which way to go. I want to get some tape saturation to my tracks and be able to export to hard drive for edit and mixdown. I've got a budget of $600.00 for a tape machine. Here's what I've decided on for options.

1. 1/2" 8 track Tascam TSR8
    I've owned one before and it sounded decent, but alas...it's a tascam right? (no offense to owners out there) nothing special.

2. Otari MX5050 1/4" half track. a respectable machine for mixdown, but here's my idea. is it possible to track to hard drive first, then take submixes one at a time over to tape and back again. obviously there would be major sync issues here when editing back on the computer, but how do you think that might sound? I would think the bigger "real estate" (1/4" half track) would be nice for each instrument or submix of instruments printed to it and back again. Plus if I premixed and compressed before hitting tape couldn't I achieve a hotter signal and better saturation?

Thoughts?

DG

Thanks
    It's just my opinion, but I would think going from computer to tape and back to computer again would negate any sonic "improvements" given by the tape saturation.
    The interface said to use "Windows XP or higher"...

... I used tape...

a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away
    Thanks
    If I had to do one half of the process analog and one half digital, I'd track analog and mix to digital. In fact, this is what I HAVE to do right now anyway. I hear good things about the TSR8 but also look at the 38-8 or the 388 both from TASCAM. YOu should be able to find something in your price range.

Thanks
    If you just want some tape flavor to your recordings on a maybe a couple of tracks this geaslutz thread explains in in detail, you only need a 2 -track recorder for this process.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...g-into-pt.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chess999 View Post
    I'm stuck in limbo. Can't decide which way to go. I want to get some tape saturation to my tracks and be able to export to hard drive for edit and mixdown. I've got a budget of $600.00 for a tape machine. Here's what I've decided on for options.

1. 1/2" 8 track Tascam TSR8
    I've owned one before and it sounded decent, but alas...it's a tascam right? (no offense to owners out there) nothing special.

2. Otari MX5050 1/4" half track. a respectable machine for mixdown, but here's my idea. is it possible to track to hard drive first, then take submixes one at a time over to tape and back again. obviously there would be major sync issues here when editing back on the computer, but how do you think that might sound? I would think the bigger "real estate" (1/4" half track) would be nice for each instrument or submix of instruments printed to it and back again. Plus if I premixed and compressed before hitting tape couldn't I achieve a hotter signal and better saturation?

Thoughts?

DG
    You could go through the process with either machine but I doubt it will be worth the effort. Magical "things" don't occur just because a signal gets sent to analog tape.
    Rick Ruskin
    Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
    http://liondogmusic.com

Thanks
    Thanks guys for the feedback,,,gives me somnething to think about. I recorded an album not too long ago and tracked everything to hard drive first and then sent the whole mix to 1/4" tape, then imported it back again and it definitely had a better "thickness" and bottom end added to it. although at slight sacrifice to resolution, I think I preferred the tape transfer over the straight digital ITB mix. I guess I thought perhaps I could "enhance" this method further by doing several "submix tranfers".
    All comments appreciated,

Dan

Thread Information