analog/digital trade-offs

smythology

If you go to digido.com there's an article called 'back to analog'.

Near the end of the article, if you want the analog sound, I think he's saying that you should have at least ONE digital toy - either to mix with (say a Mackie dB8) or mix-down with (Mackie or Tascam 24/96 ADAT).

I think he also suggests that TOO MUCH analog machines might kill the warm and rich sound the average analog freak is looking for.

This is where I'm a little confused.

Either my reading comp skills aren't up to snuff (they weren't in high school, actually) or the last paragraphs of the article have a few words missing.

Blue Bear, I think you told me that a 2" analog mutitrack is the key to getting that great sound - to get to the source in a way. That's what I'd love to do!

But I'm not sure whether to mix down WITH an analog console (...had my sights on the Mackie 24*8's) or a digital one

OR to mix down TO a 1/2" 2-track analog or a 24/96 2-track.

...and will a a/d converter be necessary if I use a 2" analog recorder?

I just need advice for the right combination in getting a KILLER analog sound. Yer help will be appreciated!

robin

I think you expect too much from analog, a properly calibrated 24 track 2" sounds just as clear and clean as digital. There is no "magic"!!!

If you want good sound , here is the solution:

Most important(80%) : Great playing musicians with good instruments.

The right mics for your application.

Great micpreamps

Mixer with good 2-bus summing(not Mackie)

A good analog 24-track deck, in good condition OR great converters and a stable DAW.

It all depends on what you want out of your gear, if you want
"pro" sound, expext to pay top dollars.

There is no easy way, sorry......

But a good 2-track 1/4 inch to "master" to,will sound great!
Could be your solution.

Amund

Back