analog+digital/syncing two tape recorders

bloomboy

I just bought a teac a-3440 four-track recorder, having heard a lot of good things about it.

The songs I plan on recording on it have as many as 30-40 tracks, so it had been my plan to record four tracks at a time, get them sounding how I want them to sound in the final mix, and then record them to my hard drive through my MobilePre as a single stereo track. I would then just use the computer to stack these tracks on top of each other, and then perhaps record the final result back to stereo tape.

from what I've been reading here though, it seems like fluctuations in tape speed might be an issue- will the tracks not sync up once they're on the computer, or will the differences be too small to notice? would it be better just to bounce a rediculous number of times on the four-track? I did buy a dbx unit as well, so i don't think noise will be much of an issue when bouncing, but will the quality loss between generations start to become apparent after four or five bounces?

Thanks

-ben

Since you've already read a lot of the threads on this type of sync ... and you already bought the machine.... just hook it up and spend a couple of hours trying the different discussed scenarios with test tracks.

You'll find out within a couple of hours what works best for you. Just slap down some scratch tracks from any old Eagles song etc and then start experimenting.

Synching to com without heartbreak will require a click track on the tape machine & something that will synch it up to the comp like a synch box.
Sending your stuff up mixed to stereo will limit you enormously. You'll also have to plan your levels, EQ, effects & panning perfectly & in advance before you do. I know because I did that for a while.
You'd be well served to buy a multiple in soundcard. I bought an 8 i/o INCA on ebay for a hundred odd dollars & now send my 4 tracks straight in to the comp without mixing. It also gives far better A/D conversion. I then send other sets of 4 that I can slide about with Cakewalk until they are in synch. That leaves me free to mix & effect as required.
A happy compromise for not much money.

For synching TWO tape machines, the tape recorders must be have the ability to synchronize by adjusting motor speed in relation to a SMPTE track on each machine. This track is recorded on both machines, of which one is designated the MASTER and one the SLAVE, which on playback, sends information to a generator/reader such as a MIDIZER which tells the SLAVE machine to speed up or slow down. It compares the two SMPTE tracks and sends a command to the slave machine. However, I believe the machines you have do NOT have this ability. Machines such as the Tascam TSR8, MSR16 and MSR24 have ports/electronics(Accessory 1 & 2) specifically designed to connect to generator/readers. Although, machines such as yours CAN be used to send SMPTE info to a reader which in turn sends info to the computer, and the program you use must be able to interpret SMPTE and adjust accordingly.

Back