Analog Board set up for 16 track

moogmymellotron

hi all.

i recently acquired a teac m 15 board. Though ive read many people bad mouth the thing for being noisey etc. i absolutely love it for my style of music. Ive spent a few weeks recapping, modding etc. Made a few recordings w it and im in heaven.

im curious if anyone uses this board and if so, how do you have it running? hows it set up? i currently it set up to a few patch bays. 24 outputs (16 for one machine, 8 for the DAW) Ins on on 18 tracks.

this works good for me but im introducing a few more bits of gear into the chain, mainly a few compressor clones. my question is, how do you/would you route something similar to this. Should i go buss outs instead? how can i optimize my analog set up? thank you!

hi all.

i recently acquired a teac m 15 board. Though ive read many people bad mouth the thing for being noisey etc. i absolutely love it for my style of music. Ive spent a few weeks recapping, modding etc. Made a few recordings w it and im in heaven.

im curious if anyone uses this board and if so, how do you have it running? hows it set up? i currently it set up to a few patch bays. 24 outputs (16 for one machine, 8 for the DAW) Ins on on 18 tracks.

this works good for me but im introducing a few more bits of gear into the chain, mainly a few compressor clones. my question is, how do you/would you route something similar to this. Should i go buss outs instead? how can i optimize my analog set up? thank you!

I had the prototype of that board back in the late 70's. Machines used were a 1" 16 track and a trio of mix-down decks: Tascam 35-2, Ampex AG440, Scully 280.

Our set up had the buss outs normalled to the 16 track ins: Buss 1 feeding tracks 1/9, buss 2 feeding tracks 2/10 & so on down the line. We'd break the normalling to use the direct outs as needed via the patch bay.

BTW - you can clean up the signal path considerably on remix by patching the machine returns into the channel receives. This bypassed the input gain structure which is totally unnecessary. You still have all other input functions.

awesome, yea i thought about the plugging into the recv of each channel. ill be doing that today, i guess my question now would be, where to buss out from, the buss send?

sorry if this is all mundane but the topography of the board is just confusing as all hell. i really love the sound of it so...hopefully itll fit my studios needs! thanks again

awesome, yea i thought about the plugging into the recv of each channel. ill be doing that today, i guess my question now would be, where to buss out from, the buss send?

sorry if this is all mundane but the topography of the board is just confusing as all hell. i really love the sound of it so...hopefully itll fit my studios needs! thanks again

Use each buss out and its companion aux out. Buss 1 out to track 1 in - Buss 1's aux out to track 9 and so on down the line.

Remember that when you patch the machine outs to the channel receives you will lose the ability to use the mic/line ins with the rest of the channel strip. I used this patch for serious mix downs only.

awesome i guess my next question would be, where should i patch in my compressors? if i use only my buss 1-8 outs to feed an 8 track.

awesome i guess my next question would be, where should i patch in my compressors? if i use only my buss 1-8 outs to feed an 8 track.

Lots of choices on that board. 1 source to compressor: use the direct out and bring the compressor output back to an unused module. Multiple sources to compressor: use one of the aux busses and bring compressor back through an aux return or unused module. There are probably more ways but I haven't used that board since 1983.

Hi, is this a Tascam M-1516? I have one and I want to know how to use it.

No. The M-15 was a fully modular board built on a 24 input/split monitor mainframe that could be ordered with as few as 8 input channels. Users could add inputs as needs and/or budgets grew, up to the 24 input maximum.

Back