analog 8 track machines

well crap.....i don't know what to do now.......i don't know anything about analog....all i know is i want at least 8 tracks and i'm not wanting to put a lot of money into it..........all these machines are in my price range though...... what do you think is better about the 38-8 a reel person?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2548008964&category=41478#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2548971900&category=15199&rd=1

what do you guys think of these recorders?

i wish i knew what i was looking for. I know i want at least 8 tracks.....but 16 would be real cool....... i have no experience with analog stuff.

the one jake told me to get sold this morning.......i had already talked to the girl that owned it and she was going to relist it for 300.........but crap someone had to snatch it up.

punk

Last edited:
donkeystyle said:
What does a 4-track do with 8 VU meters? :confused:
Fostex did indeed to an A-4 4 track in the A-series of machines, (and also an A-2) but the 8 VU meters makes me suspect that it's actually an A-8. In which case it's a prefectly usable machine. I know, I have one. :)

And this is the bees knees when it comes to eight-tracks, assuming that it works and the heads are in good condition. Doesn't get much better than this, except for those madmen who modify their 8-tracks to use two-inch tape. :)

regebro, your geni-osity is showing again!

;) Of course, my friend, that's an A8, and I think everyone picked up on that fact, except the original lister.

The Otari never did anything for me. I see tons of those Otaris in the recording surplus stores down in Hollywood. They look like junk to me, but I suppose they were reputed as the high-end pro machines of their day. They still don't do anything for me, and I'd stick with Tascam, myself. YMMV.

I'd say the Tascam 38 or 388 is suficient for home recording. The 38 was originally marketed to the ambitious home recordist of the mid-80's, but the 388 was targeted at the small pro studio, or pro studio B-room/video-post-production environment, back in it's day. Today, the 388 is regarded as 'like any other Portastudio', but it's much more than that.

The Tascam 48/58/ATR-60-8 would each be much more high end in 1/2"-8-track than the 38 or 388, a cut above the home-recording realm, into real pro-oriented machines. These machines had more pro-oriented features, like XLR/BALANCED I/O, beefier transports, and higher [military quality] internal components.

The Tascam MS-16, 1'-16-track, would be a super-nice unit to have, [w/dbx units extra], & should be awesome in the home recording realm. That's a pro-level machine, there, alright. I'm sure it's worth the extra cost, and 16-tracks would often be more preferrable over 8-tracks, depending on the scope of your projects.;)

That Fostex looks like a damn fine unit for the money. I would look into getting it relapped and calibrated and add that into the cost.
I wouldn't go too much higher than $200 though.

The Otari is super nice...for a bit more cash.

I agree with Reel, a 16 track is the only way to fly. I know a few people who've gotten them for just over a grand.

Yeah man, that recorder's the bomb!

Except for the graffiti, it looks pretty clean.

No cables included! [not necessary/self-contained]

No manual! [can be purchased from Tascam Parts dept.]

Yeah man, that's a cool one. For 8-track & home recording, that's the bomb! Better if picked up in person,... weighs almost 90 lbs!:eek:

Back