Amy Winehouse sound

Rickson Gracie

What are some old vinyl records i can pick up that have that jazzy Amy Winehouse sound? Im assuming 40s, 50 and 60s artists.

thanks

What are some old vinyl records i can pick up that have that jazzy Amy Winehouse sound? Im assuming 40s, 50 and 60s artists.

thanks

Pick up First Take by Roberta Flack. There's a killer version of "Compared to What" on there, "Tryin' Times," and of course, the incomparable "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face."

I found it at Half Price Records for $3.00. :)

And for that matter, Roberta's second album, Chapter Two, is equally amazing.

By the way, in case you strictly associate Roberta Flack with "Killing Me Softly," these records will suprise you. There's some serious groovin', and they definitely have that sound you're looking for, IMO.

Not so much vocally, but if you like Jazz look for ANYTHING by Lee Morgan.... virtually his whole catalog is available again in vinyl! My first pick would be his 1965 release "Cornbread'.

AK

I say don't bathe for a week, do a few lines, drink a fifth of whisky, get a couple of new tattoos, set up a mic and just belt out whatever you feel. :eek: :)

Absolutely shows the minimilistic approach is quite often the best, theres no need for 24 mics round a kit.

I say don't bathe for a week, do a few lines, drink a fifth of whisky, get a couple of new tattoos, set up a mic and just belt out whatever you feel. :eek: :)

when my parents catch me snorting lines ill show them this :p

Back