Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Ampex MM-1000 Story...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    The module below the reel motor is clearly marked 'control track'. Any idea what that's for?

Thanks
    So you got a 440 and this M1000 for 300 bucks??????

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Plus a whole load of other goodies it would seem.

I had a new fridge delivered today. Reading about this late last night gave me confused nightmares of someone delivering an Ampex Quad VTR which I didn't have room for in the house...
    Last edited by jpmorris; 10-16-2009 at 07:18.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Oh right! I seem to recall a thread some time back with a shot of one of those Scully machines and somebody asking what it was...maybe it was even you that responded. They have that very distinctive meter bridge.
    I was testing your memory. I posted that same picture a while back.

Thanks
    I was testing your memory. I posted that same picture a while back.
    Heheh...stinker...so how'd I do?

Yes...everything in this thread for $300...and there may be more odds and ends as she starts cleaning and organizing.

The module below the reel motor is clearly marked 'control track'. Any idea what that's for?
    From what I understand it is for primitive sync...pilot tone stuff...I think at the time one way it was done was a 9.6kHz tone was recorded on the "control track" like striping SMPTE but the synchronization required an operator and a varispeed control. This machine, if I understand correctly, will not operate as slave in a chase-lock scenario even if I had the DC servo capstan.

I hope to rig up a temporary power cable this weekend and do a smoke test but I'm concerned about operating the transport with the takeup brake non-functional so I'll see if there is a quick solution to that, clean up the tape path and put a reel of non-sticky tape on it and see what it does.

Thanks
    Let me see a photo of the socket for the power cord. If it is the same as for the MM-1100 I have a spare cord you can have.

Regards

David

Thanks
    Ah, I see it in the photo in post #8. It is the same. PM me if you still need the power cord - you are welcome to have it for the cost of shipping.

Regards

David

Thanks
    David, that is awesome. Thank you so much! I will send a PM shortly!

Did some climbing around in "Matilda" tonight to get a better grip on how the wiring runs and to confirm a few things. What a plus its been having had experience with my Ampex 440...just helps to kind of understand how Ampex did things.

I was relieved that the reel idler flywheel is the proper viscous type. The reel idler is the larger idler just before the last guide the tape hits before the erase head. There is a flywheel housing underneath that is filled with a certain grade of silicon oil. resistance is low when it begins rotating but as speed quickly picks up the oil is thrown to the outside walls of the flywheel grabbing the outer flywheel and increasin resistance. This is supposed to (among other things) reduce flutter. Anyway, its there.

This thing is built for field servicing...MAN! If you need to take the entire control panel off you just lift up and pull the side panels away (no tools needed), and then there are two socket head screws accessible for each side of the control panel...take those out, unscrew the locking ring on the super high quality amphenol connector, unplug and you can tuck that control panel under your arm and take to the workbench...I really, really like this machine.

Studied the schematics again briefly this eve. Thanks to thinbrownline I will soon have a proper power cable, but in the meantime it will take all of a couple minutes to reach in and disconnect power from everything and then connect a temporary power cable. I will then get my oscilloscope out and sequentially test power from each rail for proper voltage and ripple before connecting it to systems. Maybe this weekend?

Another thing I really like about this machine is that it is more sophisticated (in a way) than the 440-8...its a hurkier machine all around, and while it is not a logic servo transport, that fact makes it easier to diagnose and troubleshoot. I've learned very quickly that unless you're really smart and experienced like evm1024 and others here you just don't want to have to go troubleshooting IC logic. There's a certain amount of long-term security for me knowing that its all discreet electronics, and yet the transport was designed from the ground up to pull 2" tape...1" is no problem and the tape path has some considerable niceties but it is still like working on a pre electronics fuel injection pre emission controls automotive engine.

Thanks
    Cory,

That is an amazing beastie.........so good to see it's gone to someone who appreciates it . Would I be right in guessing the 1" precision reels came with that machine?

Chris
    --- Humans are analogue beings ---

--- Digital information lasts forever......or maybe five years...............................Which ever comes first. ---

Thanks
    Chris, yes. did you peruse the thread I linked that details what came in the $300 haul? I almost feel guil....nahhhhhh.

Thread Information