Ampex cassettes release?

Chilljam

transitional phase
In the past I used BASF C60 cassettes (professional grade normal bias 'all white' cassette) for a 100 copies release and was happy with their build and sound quality.

I now have the option of using Ampex GMC-45 cassettes. Anyone with experience with these? Or Ampex cassettes in general? Never used Ampex for cassettes. Surely they don't have SSS right?

I'm not using these for cassette multitracking (have plenty of SA60's) but normal position ferris cassettes for bulk (probably 200-300 copies) recording and release.

It’s ok stuff, but Ampex GMC (Grand Master Cassette) hasn’t been made since early to mid 80’s, so be sure it’s been stored properly and is in good shape before committing to a large purchase. Also make sure it is indeed Type I normal bias because Ampex also made a high bias GMC version around the same time. I have a handful of GMC normal bias from about 1980 that’s held up really well. No sticky shed and no flaking, but keep in mind I didn’t use much of it and what I have is all from the same batch, so YMMV. I’ve used other Ampex normal bias tapes back in the day and its ok but IMO not as good for music recording as TDK, Maxell and Sony normal bias tapes. And all things being equal like cost and availability I would likely stick with BASF for normal bias. I never cared much for BASF high bias cassettes however.

It’s ok stuff, but Ampex GMC (Grand Master Cassette) hasn’t been made since early to mid 80’s, so be sure it’s been stored properly and is in good shape before committing to a large purchase. Also make sure it is indeed Type I normal bias because Ampex also made a high bias GMC version around the same time. I have a handful of GMC normal bias from about 1980 that’s held up really well. No sticky shed and no flaking, but keep in mind I didn’t use much of it and what I have is all from the same batch, so YMMV. I’ve used other Ampex normal bias tapes back in the day and its ok but IMO not as good for music recording as TDK, Maxell and Sony normal bias tapes. And all things being equal like cost and availability I would likely stick with BASF for normal bias. I never cared much for BASF high bias cassettes however.

Thanks for the reply Beck!

I can get them new for less than $0.2 per cassette with case. Of course it's only available in a batch of 250. The BASF ones I ended up getting $0.65 per cassette with no case in a batch of 100.

In a bit of a pickle as what to do... By the sounds of it you're saying the BASF would have noticeably better sonic quality but at what would be 4x the price of the Ampex.

Any suggestions?

The Ampex would be a substantial savings. I don’t think the BASF would be that much different to justify the extra cost, especially with the Ampex including the cases. Well, this is a tough one. With what I know now my gut is to go with the Ampex, but I don’t want to steer you wrong if the tape is old or something and turns out to be problematic.

Can you return the Ampex if you find it’s defective? If the Ampex is in good condition I would say go for it! I mean it is good tape. I have a few commercial releases that also used the Ampex GMC and they’re still good 30+ years later. These include my original Boston ”Don’t Look Back,” Heart “Little Queen” and Foreigner “Double Vision.” So yeah, I would probably take a chance on the Ampex for that price. Don’t hate me though if something goes wrong. :)

Back