Ampex AG-440A

longsoughtfor

Searching for the sound
Hi There - I just got one of these deck for the best possible price :)

So far it looks like it is in reasonable shape, I have not aligned it yet but it does play and record. I have changed a handful of the old electrolytic caps ( I measured the old ones on a bridge an some where way off 10uF drifting down to 3 uF etc...) and plan to do more.

What I was wondering was if anyone out there has a manual for this deck that I could borrow to copy? Specifically, I am wondering about lubrication points and other mechanical maintenence for the moters and stuff.

So, anyone else have an ancient Ampex?

Thanks
Kevin.

Kevin,

Great score on that old deck.

It couldn't hurt to call Ampex, and see if they have any manuals available on this particular deck.

Reel - Yeah, Ampex (from their web site anyway) doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that they ever made tape decks :confused:

I have found a good site for Ampex gear http://www.recordist.com

but no manual for the 440.

Thanks.
Kevin.

P.S. Thats "motor" from my original post
:p

Yeah, I heard Ampex sold off the tape-drive division, years ago.

That's a tough one.

You might find a manual for the A440, if you search Ebay long enough.

Also, it might not hurt to search out recording-specialty shops, and recording-studio-outlet stores, of which there are many in Hollywood, Ca, and I'm sure a few in other major cities that there's studios and media.

It's a tough one. Manuals on old, out-of-support decks.

I will say one thing positive, TASCAM does a GREAT job of supporting it's older equipment, including still selling manuals, which is obvious how much better TASCAM is at this, than the rest of the industry.

As much as people may gripe about Tascam Service, or Parts, etc, it's still a lot better than the majority of the industry.

-I guess I'm repeating my self, again.;)

Thanx, those links are excellent, way beyond my expectations!

Good find/good score!

/DA

-Hey longsought, feast your eyes! You've found Ampex Heaven.

Thanks Guys - I've been to both of those sites and found lots of good info. I think I will keep my eyes on Ebay for a manual too. The recordist site is great, that is where I got the schematics that I have.

What I am still in the dark on is any mechanical matinence that these decks require. Oiling, mechanical alignment etc...

On the reporting side:

Like I said, I changed most of the old electrolytics. I borrowed an alignment tape from a friend and have the amps aligned pretty well. I have not done the azimuth alignment yet though... maybe this weekend.

I got a price of $45/head for re-lapping - I thought that was good so I will probably do that after the new year.

I also got a DBX Noise reduction unit off of Ebay to use with it.

Later.
Kevin.

Back