Ampex 354

PHILANDDON

Hey,

I was looking into getting one of these. How much would the tube electronics influence the sound? Is the influence at all comparable to using a tube preamp.

PHILANDDON said:
How much would the tube electronics influence the sound?.
I'd say a lot. It's not 'transparent' ... which is a good thing :D imo, but will you like it? - nobody knows. you'd have to try on your own to find out.
To keep a machine like 354 or 351 alive and well is a separate issue, also... you'd have to be willing to deal with taking care of it.
i've found this blah blah .. something "informative" to read.
/respects

when i was starting in radio... i lost a fingernail to an old ampex 350 machine trying to stop the infamous "death spill" from covering the whole floor with several hours work... they built unforgiving transports... however, the tube front end on that unit would sound very good indeed as a preamp if your taste runs toward warm and old... unfortunately, the poobahs at the station had long since replaced that wonderful front end with innovonics solid state junk and i didn't have a chance to hear what potential those decks had until much later at a pro studio... with an engineer who had also lost a fingernail to his ampex...

Back