Thread: Ampex 350 problems

Thanks

Ampex 350 problems

Sign in to disable this ad
    I just had the whole machine rebuilt and sounds and works awesome! But, I am having a buzz, not a hum, problem on the playback side. I know it's not on the tape because I get it at tape stand still, also. It only happens between certain playback levels, too. I've tried using a lift ground plug, but that didn't do it. I tried unplugging the I/O cables I made and plugged headphones into it. It still does it, so it's not the I/O cables.

Anybody?

-Zach

Thanks
    If your 350 is a stereo version, and the buzz is on both channels it has to be something common to both sides so the power supply might be a likely suspect with a failing filter cap somewhere that is feeding the repro circuitry.

If it is a mono deck, the problem could still lye there in the power supply or it might be a cold solder joint on the cable that leads out of the repro head and goes into the channel amplifier module.

The only wat to really get to the bottom of it is to give it back to the technician and let him trace it down if the above two possibilities don't get to it.

Good luck!

Thread Information