Aligning 4 Track Tape Heads

Scooter B

Can Anyone out there point me to a good resource (downoadable preferably or web site) on DIY tapehead alignment?

My Yamaha 4-track channels seem to bleed Much Worse than they used to. In fact I don't remember/didn't notice them bleeding at all when I first got it.

Mucho Gracias in advance.

Scott

Yes I recently cleaned the heads, I was afraid that was what may have changed the alignment.

I have not demagnatized in a while though. I plan to do some recoding this weekend so I will try that too.

TURN IT OFF!!!!

Be sure to turn of the machine while de-magnetizing the heads!

You could permanently magnetize them and ruin the unit!

After you have cleaned and demagnetized, if you still have bleed across the tracks, it may be the heads are worn and you are basicaly out of luck...

If you are daring you could try to align the heads by trial and error

*Record a constant signal (Like a sine wave, or organ note)
At o VU on the meters on one track then play back the adjacent tracks and take note of the signal volume.

*Align heads slightly up or down, then repeat the above procedure.... Is it better or worse... move heads accordingly.

*NOTE* Each time you move and test heads, use a new section of tape, otherwise the previous signal may not be completely erased and will fool you...

*REALITY CHECK*
A brand new 4 track Cassette Unit (TASCAM OR FOSTEX) can be purchased from Musicians Friend or Guitar Center for less than $150 and up.

A repair shop will Charge you a minimum fee of about $40.00 just to look at it!

I'd say it's worth the gamble of trying to fix it yourself, then buy a new one (when)_ er....."If" you screw it up.

Dom :p

Back