Akg 414

SteveMac

I'd really like to get one of these mics. I've been looking at them for a while now but there are a million different models. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is what. Can anyone break these down for me? Are there huge differences between them? Also how do you like the mic if you have one. I'm thinking about getting one of the least expensive models.

AWESOME Mic, good on drum overhead, vocals, acoustic guitar, guitar cabinet. Very good sounding! I Could probably get along with just 2 of these.

Yo Stevemac! There are a bunch of designations, but the most common are:
EB, B-ULS, TLII, B-XLS and XLII.
The EB is the older model, and is highly prized if in good condition. It was replaced by B-ULS and TLII. The B-ULS is probably closer to the old EB. The TLII uses a different capsule based on the flagship C12, and is supposedly tuned for vocals. It is identifiable by it's gold grill, and also says B-ULS on the transformer body, because it's the same body as B-ULS.
The B-XLS is new, and replaces B-ULS. XLII replaces TLII. The new models increase to 5 polar patterns, adding wide cardioid, and the pad and bass cuts are now 3 stage. Polar pattern in use is now indicated by LED's.
First of all, all of these mics rock. Opinion is divided on whether the B-ULS or TLII is the better mic. I personally find the B-ULS more versatile, closer to the old EB. I haven't had the opportunity to use the new models, but they have gotten rave reviews, even from people who don't care for the 414. I think this is a good time to pick up a B-ULS, as the new models are pushing the closeout prices of the older models down.
IMHO, the 414 (any of them) are among the most versatile mid-priced studio workhorses on earth. Go out and try to find any major professional studio that doesn't have at least a pair of them. They are a *great* acoustic guitar, mandolin, and banjo mic. They are good on any drum except kick, and particularly good on a really good female singer- a Celine Dion favorite. It isn't the mic I'd put up for a rough singer, or one that's pitchy. It won't cover up anything. I also wouldn't use it on real low frequencies, such as bass. It's a great overhead, very good on piano, strings, woodwinds, whatever you got. There are those who use it as a cab mic, but I'm not one of them. On cabs, I've had better luck with it's cheaper cousin, C2000B.
BTW, I have a B-ULS, and I tracked pretty much all of the acoustic guitar on a mostly acoustic CD with that one mic. Short of Schoeps, I don't know of a better acoustic guitar mic at any price..-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
BTW, I got to this from the "new posts" search. You should have posted this question in the mic forum-Richie

Yeah, but it IS an analog mic, so it can be here as this is the "Analog Only" forum. It says nothing about being only for mixers, tape decks etc.

Richard Monroe said:
BTW, I got to this from the "new posts" search. You should have posted this question in the mic forum-Richie

Ha ha, good point. I'm so used to coming just to the analog forum I forgot the other ones existed. Thanks for all the good info on the mic!

Back