Akai MG1212, MG1214 wireless remote alternative found ???

j.harv

@#$%
Soooo, I went out to a few thrift stores today and spotted a box in the electronics section of the store. It had a New old stock label put on by the store and the product inside is an Alpine RU-20B wireless remote control unit for cassette decks. When I opened it up, the first thing that came to mind when I saw it was my Akai MG1214.

I did end up making a wired remote from scratch, but a wireless has always been on my hit list for this machine. But I have heard that they are pretty rare and hard to find. And probably expensive. This alpine one looks similar and has an 8 pin DIN on it.
They had it listed for $20, but electronics were on sale, 75% off. So I bought it for $5 thinking, "what the heck".

Maybe it can be re-wired. I got it home, put batteries in and plugged it into the Akai. Popped in a tape and started pressing the buttons. It works!!! But, the buttons functions are not as they are. Stop button = fast forward, RW= rewind, but stops after a few seconds, Play button does nothing, Pause button trips off the play function, Fast forward button=stop, Rec mute button arms the record, Record button does nothing.
So, all the functions work except pause. Do you think it would be possible to go inside this remote and try to match up the functions correctly, or should I just leave it and re-label the remote?

Thought I would just post this for any Akai owners that may want a wireless remote. Not sure if this Alpine model is easy to come by, but I'm thinking it is probably easier to find than the AKai model

IMG_20200208_151143.jpg

Last edited:
Back