Ahh...sync/record problem 8-track to computer.

fred s.

The purists probably wont like this post, but anyway...

I'm tracking with a Fostex Model 80 and my sound card is a Delta 1010lt

sync with JLC pps-2.

Ive got everything working as far as the sync between the Fostex and my DAW goes, they line up in time.

The trouble Im having is I'd like to dump those 7 analog tracks to the computer and have them play back and fill up 7 new analog tracks in sync.

Is this even possible with my set up? I can't get the recording program to both synch and record/playback...it's either or. Is that normal or is it my set up?

The type of music Im recording is extremely layered at points and sometimes requires a bit of editing.

I can't afford a 16 track right now and I'd really like to make this work.

If it's any consolation, at the end it's all mixed on outboard gear onto a Tascam 22-2 deck, the digital part is just to line up more tracks (hopefully).:confused:

It *should* work...I'm not sure I understand the issue with the DAW not being able to both sync and record/playback...can you explain that in scenario terms?

It *should* work...I'm not sure I understand the issue with the DAW not being able to both sync and record/playback...can you explain that in scenario terms?

Ok I'll try my best...

When I'm using a "synth track" metronome or virtual drums for example, from pc to tape deck and pps2...the tape deck records and plays back in time.

However, when I have instruments filled on tape for some reason my computer isn't recording them and syncing at the same time, it just says "waiting for midi"

Basically I'm trying to cheat and use my 8track as a 16 (or more track) by dumping old and syncing new analog tracks before mixdown.

Could it just be that I should use another editing program?

Timecode is presumably on track 8. Are you trying to record on track 7? Does it help if you only record tracks 1-6? I don't know about the M80, but on the A8 it would swamp the timecode if you tried to record on track 7. Too much crosstalk.

Just a thought.

Timecode is presumably on track 8. Are you trying to record on track 7? Does it help if you only record tracks 1-6? I don't know about the M80, but on the A8 it would swamp the timecode if you tried to record on track 7. Too much crosstalk.

Just a thought.

Thought of that but it doesn't matter even if there's only audio on track 2 for example, still no luck.

The problem IMO is on the PC end (I think), the M80 is in immaculate condition and recently calibrated. Not much crosstalk as far as I can tell.

And yes code is on track 8 (tried other tracks as well).

You had to know this question was coming...what DAW software are you using?

And the 1010LT has MIDI I/O also right? AFAIK that is a stable interface and being PCI you don't have IRQ issues that you can run into with other protocols...yeah I know...more recent OS's supposedly deal with IRQ sharing better but it STILL doesn't bode well with me when the F/W is sharing with video. :rolleyes: PCI slots still get some dedicated attention and you have the option of switching slots if there is a potential conflict when most MOBO BIOS's don't give you control over other areas. But I digress.

What's the software and when it is "waiting for MIDI" can you see signal on your armed tracks in the DAW? And do the tracks stay armed when you hit record and the DAW transport just won't engage in record mode?

You had to know this question was coming...what DAW software are you using?

And the 1010LT has MIDI I/O also right? AFAIK that is a stable interface and being PCI you don't have IRQ issues that you can run into with other protocols...yeah I know...more recent OS's supposedly deal with IRQ sharing better but it STILL doesn't bode well with me when the F/W is sharing with video. :rolleyes: PCI slots still get some dedicated attention and you have the option of switching slots if there is a potential conflict when most MOBO BIOS's don't give you control over other areas. But I digress.

What's the software and when it is "waiting for MIDI" can you see signal on your armed tracks in the DAW? And do the tracks stay armed when you hit record and the DAW transport just won't engage in record mode?

Yes the Delta has a MIDI In and Out.

Im using a 2010 Dell pc with windows 7 lots of ram etc...

The software is called "ntrack" and its always worked well for my minimal digital use, just to cut and line up analog tracks, works fine when transferring without a sync, but that of course limits me to 8 tracks at most.

And yes there's audio, tracks are armed but it simply wont engage (the record button on pc will just kinda flicker).

Last edited:
Btw when I hit record on the computer it says "waiting for incoming sync signal"
not "waiting for midi", my mistake.

Last edited:
I could get N-Track version 5 to work, but I always had issues getting version 6 to work consistently with my Delta 1010 lt card. This goes for syncing as well as recording audio.

-MD

I finally got it to work. Had to open 2 applications of ntrack, one is syncing my computer and tape deck...and the other is recording incoming audio from 8 track.

Btw when I hit record on the computer it says "waiting for incoming sync signal"...

So when it says that...what do you do next?

My Samplitude DAW will say the same thing when I'm using it with my tape deck...basically it's waiting for the deck to start playing, since that's where it's going to get the sync from.

If you ARE hitting PLAY on the deck after the "waiting for incoming sync signal" message comes up and nothing happens...I would check how your sync options are set.
There's no reason/need to open two instances of N-Track to make it work.

So when it says that...what do you do next?

My Samplitude DAW will say the same thing when I'm using it with my tape deck...basically it's waiting for the deck to start playing, since that's where it's going to get the sync from.

If you ARE hitting PLAY on the deck after the "waiting for incoming sync signal" message comes up and nothing happens...I would check how your sync options are set.
There's no reason/need to open two instances of N-Track to make it work.

The DAW will play in sync when I hit play on my deck, but wont record...that's why I have to open two...doesn't make sense, but whatever works.

Recheck your N-Track settings...maybe it's how you are assigning the A/D card inputs in N-Track...?...or the play/record settings.

I have N-Track but have not used it in a long time. Try the N-track users forum...I'm sure you will get an answer.

http://forum.ntrack.com/cgi-bin/ikonforum/index.cgi

I can't believe it's a limitation of the software. Do you have the latest version...?...there have been many updates (all free).

Recheck your N-Track settings...maybe it's how you are assigning the A/D card inputs in N-Track...?...or the play/record settings.

I have N-Track but have not used it in a long time. Try the N-track users forum...I'm sure you will get an answer.

http://forum.ntrack.com/cgi-bin/ikonforum/index.cgi

I can't believe it's a limitation of the software. Do you have the latest version...?...there have been many updates (all free).

It's an older version, a couple years ago. I tried the new version and didn't really like it.

I second the suggestion to try the n-Track forum. Been several years since I've actively used n-Track, but the user forum was always very helpful. I may be something in the MIDI settings...unless it is some goofy win7 thing with legacy PCI audio drivers, and if it is Flavio will fix it.

I posted it there, and before someone there tells me that I should just ditch the tape and sync box and should be tracking digitally for "better fidelity" and easier recordings...

I was hoping someone here could just recommend another recording software to try this out on so we can see if the culprit is ntrack or not.

I was hoping someone here could just recommend another recording software to try this out on so we can see if the culprit is ntrack or not.

Try Reaper. It's shareware, with a 30-day trial. I haven't used it much (apart from digitizing multitracks for safety) but I understand it can do both master and slave MTC sync.

Back