Advice on Posting Reel of Tape

Mark7

I need some!

Will possibly be posted to the USA. Should I expect Homeland Security to bombard it with radiation and electro-magnetism?

I sent one two years ago, and wrapped it in layers of aluminium foil. it got there safely but had been opened at least twice and inspected.

Good labels and easy to open packaging will help. My friend in California reported some scratches on the ali flanges where they cut through the foil with knives. My foil worked for the scanners, but I should have protected the spools better.

Fun fact. Your family probably originated in a village just to the southwest of Leicester. Which is where I live.

I would think that wrapping it aluminum foil would actually create more suspicion if they have trouble scanning..etc.

I think the best thing you can do is simply attach labels on the outside...."Magnetic Tape Media".
That way they have some idea what's inside.
Also...I would think the bigger scanning would happen on your end, before it goes on the plane. Once in the USA, I think it's mostly about the Customs folks wanting to make sure you're not importing something that needs to be taxed.

Again....go with FedEx...they have it down to a science, and everything will be fine. :)

I need some!

Will possibly be posted to the USA. Should I expect Homeland Security to bombard it with radiation and electro-magnetism?

There is no significant magnetic component to x-rays, so the scanners will not harm your tape.

Just make sure there is at least an inch of padding material all around it, both to protect the tape physically and to keep it a safe distance from anything in another package that might be magnetic.

I have clients ship tapes to me all the time, some internationally, and no tape has ever been harmed magnetically. One or two of them have been physically though, due to bad packing.

Regards

David Ollard
Thin Brown Line

Alternate plan.

A guy in California with a 388 and drum skillz is willing to lay down some drum tracks on a 388 for me (we've not discussed financial compensation yet). What if I send wav files of vocals, scratch guitar and click track for each song and then pay him for the tape, shipping and his time/effort? That way the tape only has to travel one way (from him to me).

Back