Acquiring Reel Tape

analog aaron

Swami King of Poppers
Hey guys, it's been a while. I've got plenty of nos cassette to tide me over with my portastudios, but will be aiming to get my Tascam 388 and 38 back up to snuff in the next few weeks. The last time I bought tape was through rmgi international, so you can tell how long it's been ? Just curious where you all are getting new reel tape these days?

Mmm...I haven't bought any tape from a retail supplier in a long time now.
My tape acquisition has been more about cherry picking NOS listings over the years, to where I now have quite a stockpile, and could ride on it for a long time.
I just picked up a couple of NOS reels of 499...and most of my tape needs are for 2" tape...though I also have a pile of 1/4" for my mixdown deck, and a pile of 1/2" leftover from when I had a 1/2" machine, and I'm just holding on to it as it's all EMTEC/BASF 911 and 468 tape...no longer in production.

I'm sure you can find online retailers though...you have Splicit, and a few others.

Audio Splicing Tape

I’ve been getting multitrack mastering and mixdown tape from ATR Magnetics. I had a big stockpile of 996 but sold most of it to start getting newer.
Some of the old were getting a bit beat up.
I was getting some single pass stuff from tapetape but he’s gone awol in last couple years.

Back