about Tandberg72 tube reelrecorder

bubbasmith

I ran across with this two-track and I´m wondering if it is good for mastering purposes for example. So, is it worth anything? I was planning to use it for recording (of course), mastering maybe (I like lo-fi too), a pre-amp or even overdriver and maybe also make it work like a tape echo if it is possible. What´s your opinion? And how much would you pay for it?
here´s a picture too
http://www.huuto.net/auctionimages/5222734-orig.jpg

thank´s for your answer.

-bubba-

bubbasmith

My only experience with Tandberg was from a 1971 cassette deck that I used to own from them.....wait a minute.....I still have the boat anchor! Actually, when it worked, it sounded incredible and it was built like a tank. The only problem with it was that it had a short in it somewhere and it would heat and seize up and then send waves of pulsing and screaming hum through my stereo system back in the day. Then, I owned a Tandberg receiver which I still have and that actually still works but, only on one channel!

The problem I had with Tandberg was that there was nobody in town who could work on the stuff when it needed service! The parts inside were all very...European...weird markings, strange words....there made in Norway, you know!

The machine in your picture looks much older then the antiques I have so I would put that reel to reel at somewhere around 1965 for the look of it though, the metal ribbed knobs on it look a lot like the knobs on my receiver so who knows? It might be newer then that but, not by much!

If it still works, it probably sounds great but, let's get real here. It's at least 35 years old, the heads are probably flattened nubs, the rubber is probably rotted, the motors are probably filthy, the belts are cracking and ready to snap, if they haven't already!? The caps are dried up and even if it's mint, the electronics would be dirty at best, compared to even a $100.00 cassette deck of a more recent vintage.

What's it worth? To a modern musician trying to find a great analog mastering deck, probably about 25 bucks. To a collector of vintage gear....priceless!:D

As for using it as an Echo-plex, it doesn't appear to be a three head machine so that's out too.

As a pre-amp? I don't think it's worth the effort.

Look for a TASCAM 32, 42, 52 or a Revox B77 or Studer PR99 or something newer and serviceable for mastering applications.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
thank´s for your answers. tha tape width is 1/4". And it uses the whole width of the tapeside for two tracks. The tubes are 2xECC83, ECC82, 2x ECL86 ja 2 x EAM86. It´s from the 60´s but still should be working. the belt is replaced, it´s demagnetized and cleaned.

a couple of more pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/janlappa/tandberg

looks very cool I think.

bubbasmith said:

I've got one of those (or at least, I used to). They are not designed as "HiFi" machines, instead they have built in speakers and built in mic preamps and are basically designed to be used for recording speak and playing it back. They were extremely popular in scandinavian schools to play back narrative tapes for slides or tapes with exercises in language comprehension and stuff like that.

It's 1/4" 2-track, and made to have flippable tapes, that is, one mono-track per "side". It may be usable as a stereo machine too, but I wouldn't count on it, that's not what it's made for. If I remember correctly, tape speeds are 7 1/2; 3 3/4 and 1 7/8. Decidedly low-fi speeds, that is. :)

They are built like tanks, and almost indestructible, but I would rather tend to look at them as good objects for making weird modifications to it than mastering machines.

Hey Bubba,

There is no doubt that thing looks awesome, but seriously... Unless you really know what you're getting into with it, then you simply have to read and re-read Ghost's post because he's dead on about parts and service and possible head wear. As a super badass collectors machine (Or conversation piece for your studio) it would rule earth hands down, but if it's a deck you're wanting to mixdown to, then the direction you may wish to pursue is something newer with availible parts out there and people authrorized to service it.

(I'd just hate to see you get it and then not be able to use it you know?)

:)

Ah, yes, as you see from the other pictures, I remembered the tape speeds correctly, and indeed, it is usable for two-track stereo as well as two-track mono.

Thank´s guys. In fact, when I post the earlier reply, I had already decided to not to buy it. I thought it would be, in my position, a waste of space and money. I´ll wait fot something better. It´s just that I live in Finland, and it´s relatively rare that you come across with these machines in here, at least with reasonable prices. I´m glad I asked about this one, otherwice I would have propably bought it. I keep my eyes open for those models that Ghost gave me.

thank´s everyone!

-bubba-

Back