996->456 tape bias?

cuibono

I have an otari mtr-12II 1/2" 4 track, biased for 996 mastering tape (I forget the tape maker). I want to use some new quantegy 456 tape on the machine. So my question is, what, specifically, will happen to the sound quality if I don't adjust for the bias differences? Will I lose some end of the frequency spectrum? Will is compress/distort badly? Thanks yall....

Running 456 on a machine biased for 996 will result in dull recordings due to a loss in high frequency. You will also be overdriving the tape at 0 vu reference. You should have your machine readjusted for 456.

996 was made by 3M/Scotch. Quantegy bought 3Ms tape formulations and used 996 as the basis for GP9. You can use GP9, 499 and EMTEC 900 on a machine set for 996.

-Tim
:cool:

Ah, thanks. Very helpful. Now, maybe someone can tell me how to figure out what bias my machine is set to. You see, there is a switch to choose between two biases, so can anyone help me guess which one is the 996 bias setting?

patrick

cuibono said:
I have an otari mtr-12II 1/2" 4 track, biased for 996 mastering tape (I forget the tape maker). I want to use some new quantegy 456 tape on the machine. So my question is, what, specifically, will happen to the sound quality if I don't adjust for the bias differences? Will I lose some end of the frequency spectrum? Will is compress/distort badly? Thanks yall....

You also have to set the tape tension back to 456 (if your machine was set up CORRECTLY for the 996).

3M 996 or Quantagy GP9 will wear heads faster IF the tension is not reset for the thicker coatings. If you just re-bias, you should check your tension to make sure it is not too low.

Beck said:
You can use GP9, 499 and EMTEC 900 on a machine set for 996.

That is correct as far as operating level is concerned. However, you should always re-bias for any change in tape formulation. Even if the recommended overbias level is the same for the 2 different formulations, it may take a different level of bias current to achieve that overbias reading.

Raw-Tracks said:
That is correct as far as operating level is concerned. However, you should always re-bias for any change in tape formulation. Even if the recommended overbias level is the same for the 2 different formulations, it may take a different level of bias current to achieve that overbias reading.

Well... technically yes... in practice not exactly. I had both level and bias expressly in mind. Many purists will rebias even with a different lot of the same tape, or even from tape-to-tape. The aforementioned +9 tapes all fall within an infinitesimally small bias range.

You don't necessarily need to rebias within a class of tape until you have evaluated the performance of the new tape with the existing setup. You can, if you want to create some unnecessary work for yourself.

The important point to remember is that 996, GP9, and 499 are bias and level compatible, and that 456, 226, 911, etc are bias and level compatible. And these two classes are absolutely not bias and level compatible with each other.

I would be happy if people understand that they shouldn't be using 456 and 499 interchangeably, which happens all too often.

Tape selection seems to be one of the least understood elements of recording, and ironically probably the most important.

-Tim

Raw-Tracks said:

I align my 2" everytime I start a session (if that session is for somebody other than me). All pro's do.

The typical home reccer does not have to worry about it. The reason pro's have to is to guarantee that their tape is compatable with every pro studio out there. Tape decks don't go out of alignment unless they have a problem or are moved (like in a moving truck, shipped etc.).

But, the pro's have to know for 100% sure that the deck is aligned and biased for their customers.

acorec said:
I align my 2" everytime I start a session (if that session is for somebody other than me). All pro's do.

The typical home reccer does not have to worry about it. The reason pro's have to is to guarantee that their tape is compatable with every pro studio out there. Tape decks don't go out of alignment unless they have a problem or are moved (like in a moving truck, shipped etc.).

But, the pro's have to know for 100% sure that the deck is aligned and biased for their customers.

Yes, but if the home recorder is swapping different tape formulations around, his high frequency response will be out of whack. One formulation will be bright, while another will be dull. All due to improper bias.

Raw-Tracks said:
Yes, but if the home recorder is swapping different tape formulations around, his high frequency response will be out of whack. One formulation will be bright, while another will be dull. All due to improper bias.

I agree 100%.

Raw-Tracks said:

Right! Which brings us full circle back to my original reply to this thread:

"Running 456 on a machine biased for 996 will result in dull recordings due to a loss in high frequency. You will also be overdriving the tape at 0 vu reference. You should have your machine readjusted for 456."

Back