'70s Analog "studio," felt like bragging....

Well, like I said, I sold it.
I did have the DX-8 Unit, but for some reason it
always sounded a bit noisy(maybe the Model 5B?)
and a bit squashed sounding(DBX NR)
Then again, that was before I learned that you
shouldn't push the Levels "so" high with the DBX.
I think I may have been saturating the electronics
rather than the Tape itself, which distorted in a bad way.
I used RMGI SM911 for my 80-8.

I think if I had another try at my old 8-Track
setup, I think I could get it sounding pretty good.
I sure miss that setup though.

okay rhoades I get you now.....well, good luck replacing your old system. M5s and 80-8s are easy to come by, dime a dozen...even though i lust for the old old stuff, your gear now must be incredible.

lonewhitefly - glad to see someone actively getting old sounds. I too have a specific fetish with 60s - '70s analog. in like '92 my mom took me to a museum in L.A. that had a recording studio in it. All of us kids were allowed to record something...the engineer said "so what do you like..." and we were all separately interviewed. I remember seeing the big reel spinning, and even though it was analog, it wasn't analog like the Doors recordings "the end". I have sort of made it my life goal to recover that "lost" sound...it's good to see someone else is too!

Do you ever use vintage 1/4" tape ?

okay rhoades I get you now.....well, good luck replacing your old system. M5s and 80-8s are easy to come by, dime a dozen...even though i lust for the old old stuff, your gear now must be incredible.

lonewhitefly - glad to see someone actively getting old sounds. I too have a specific fetish with 60s - '70s analog. in like '92 my mom took me to a museum in L.A. that had a recording studio in it. All of us kids were allowed to record something...the engineer said "so what do you like..." and we were all separately interviewed. I remember seeing the big reel spinning, and even though it was analog, it wasn't analog like the Doors recordings "the end". I have sort of made it my life goal to recover that "lost" sound...it's good to see someone else is too!

Do you ever use vintage 1/4" tape ?

yes i understand ... all analog is not created equal! took awhile for me to really start to get to the bottom of things. i am on the hunt too. i have my ampex 440 set up for the scotch 201/202/203 ... i mix to NOS tape. i have a drawer full of NOS scotch. but 1/2" tape is much harder to find, so most of my multis are on 456. i do have an old '60s-'70s 1/2" roll of 206 that i'm gonna use soon.

Back