488 mkII question

radioone

I recently acqured a tascam 488 mkII. Ive noticed that the tape in playback sounds warbly like the tape is running at varying speeds. Ive read some of the other posts and it sounds like the belt may need to be replaced, This is probably beyond my skill level and so I probably need to have the machine serviced. Any suggestions on finding a qualified repair center? I live in central oregon. Im a newbie to the 488 and to this website. Thanks for any help.

I recently acqured a tascam 488 mkII. Ive noticed that the tape in playback sounds warbly like the tape is running at varying speeds. Ive read some of the other posts and it sounds like the belt may need to be replaced, This is probably beyond my skill level and so I probably need to have the machine serviced. Any suggestions on finding a qualified repair center? I live in central oregon. Im a newbie to the 488 and to this website. Thanks for any help.

I don't know what your budget is, but the only sure-fire service center I will recommend is to send it to Teac in Montebello California.

repair cost

Thanks sweetbeats, that's what I will do. I found the 488 at a local music store. They were asking $300 for the machine, but we finally agreed on $100. My only concern is spending more on the repairs than the recorder is worth. Any idea what these machines are worth in today's market. Seems like even if I had to put a couple hundred into it that I still should be ahead. thanks again for your response.

Thanks sweetbeats, that's what I will do. I found the 488 at a local music store. They were asking $300 for the machine, but we finally agreed on $100. My only concern is spending more on the repairs than the recorder is worth. Any idea what these machines are worth in today's market. Seems like even if I had to put a couple hundred into it that I still should be ahead. thanks again for your response.

I would definitely do what sweetbeats recommended, seein' as you
are on the west coast,...it shouldn't cost too much to ship it TEAC in Ca.
At least you will have the satisfaction of knowin' it was serviced by the
people who gave birth to the portastudio...and it will/should be serviced right.
488 mkII can sell usually anywhere from $225.00 to $450.00, depending on the condition.
At least that's what I've seen them go for when I was monitoring them for a couple months.
If you got it for $100.00,
I would say it is definitely worth puttin' $200.00 into shipping and service.(shouldn't be that much,..but ya never know)
It's one of the finest cassette based trackers out there.

+1 to all that.

$100 was a good deal on a 488mkII...I know it stings to think of dropping more than you paid for the unit right away in shipping and service, but, seriously, if I had a Tascam/Teac machine that needed servicing and I wasn't going to do it myself there is not ONE establishment I know of anywhere near me that I'd trust to do the work. Send it back to the mothership and trust it'll be done right, and in the end you'll still have yourself a reasonably good deal including that work done on it AND you'll be ahead having had it serviced and ready to go for a long time.

The belt on those machines is in an ackward place. I don't have the luxury of sending it off so I'm going to have to swap mine out myself, but yes, if you have the means, send it out, it'll save you the headache. But I love my 488!!!

Thanks

Thanks for all the advise. Sounds like I'm money ahead to send it to Tascam. Because I bought this machine used, I dont really know how much time is on it, or under what conditions it was used. There is no obvious obuse and so I assume the 488 is fairly robust. Im not heavy handed so once its repaired, it should be good to go for a long time (assuming like I said that the 488 is not prone to breakage).

Received the work order from Tascam today. Replacement parts include Motor Cap, Belt Cap V-750, PR R-919 (whatever that is) and a Driving Gear Assembly. Parts and Labor to repair my 488 mk II including shipping will be $170. Was told by the tech that they will have the machine repaired and shipped back to me tomorrow. So far I am very pleased with Tascam's service center. Prompt service and fair price.

thanks for posting that info on your repair. i'm about to send a 688 out for repair to tascam in the next month... or so.... and i will post what they charge me and what is included so people know... but it's helpful..

Received the work order from Tascam today. Replacement parts include Motor Cap, Belt Cap V-750, PR R-919 (whatever that is) and a Driving Gear Assembly. Parts and Labor to repair my 488 mk II including shipping will be $170. Was told by the tech that they will have the machine repaired and shipped back to me tomorrow. So far I am very pleased with Tascam's service center. Prompt service and fair price.

+1 to you posting back with the follow up. They will stand behind their work. Simply the #1 place to have your Tascam unit repaired. Thanks again and if you can let us know the final outcome when you get it back. ;)

Followup on 488 Mk II

I received my Tascam 488 Mk II back from the Tascam service center earlier this week. The total repair cost was $170 including $25 for shipping. The service was very prompt (2 weeks total time away) and they packaged the recorder very well. I checked everything out yesterday and it now works like a new machine. If anyone is considering sending their recorder to Tascam, I would recommend it. I may have tried an authorized service center but there were none close to my residence. I cant imagine that anyone else could have completed the repairs any faster and with the exception of shipping, I suspect that the costs would have been similar. Anyway, that was my experience.

Fantastic. Coincides with what I've heard in the past as well. Its been awhile since a report and I'm glad to hear Tascam is still taking care of business, even on a 20 year old unit! ;)

TEAC service center...here I come!

Wow, this thread has been a great one; the insight shows me that my beloved 488mkII has more life in her!

I bought mine new in 1998 and it served me well for years but the last few times I fired it up a few pots were scratchy on the "low issue" while the heads obviously need realigning and a belt change (like yours radioone, I'm hearing a little wobble) are the "high order" issues.

Just knowing that my 488mkII doesn't have to be permanently shelved is awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience radio!

Back