488 MKII Question

David Benson

After recording 4 tracks on my 488. when playing back the recording track one randomally gets louder and softer on playback. It may get through a whole song with no problems and then the next playback it does the loud soft thing. I cleaned the heads and did the demagnatizing thing. It does not happen in the same spots on the tape, but can happen anywhere, and only track one does this. Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated. Are there places out there that could repair such a machine?
Best Regards
David

Sounds most like a cleaning issue, to me.

You may want to clean the head a few more times, with a gentle but firm scrubbing action. :eek:

David Benson said:
After recording 4 tracks on my 488. when playing back the recording track one randomally gets louder and softer on playback. It may get through a whole song with no problems and then the next playback it does the loud soft thing. I cleaned the heads and did the demagnatizing thing. It does not happen in the same spots on the tape, but can happen anywhere, and only track one does this. Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated. Are there places out there that could repair such a machine?

It sounds like something in the playback amp could be a bit unstable. I no virtually nothing about the Tascam cassette units so don't know how old this is and what kind of technology it would be using, but if you can get at the PCB (and are confident - don't even look if you're not) it might be worthwhile making sure there are no dry joints. Other than that it could be a leaky cap or some other kind of age-related problem.

If you don't understand this then it may pay to clean the heads first (as suggested) and then see a tech.

Cya
Andrew

Also make absolutely sure you're using type II tape when you record and playback. Has this happened on all tapes, or just one? Which track is it? I would think this problem would be more likely to happen on one out the outer tracks than the inner tracks.

-MD

Back