488 MKii help deleting a track on the mix.

Orion61

Hi I have a very clean and seldom used 488 MKii, it has always been in its box or if out, had the factory fitted Plastic dust cover over it. My issue is, I can record on all 8 tracks (haven't messed with the 9-12) every track records fine and I can bump single or multiple tracks. I can also erase tracks if I make a mistake etc EXCEPT for track 5? It is fully functional except once recorded on, the mixer will not record blank over it and delete the previous recording? It is almost like it has a "Sound on Sound Mode" setting, and protects the track? I have tried every Assign switch/group, and pan setting, even tried erasing the tracks 4 and 6 with it.. No good Ol' # 5 is still there.
Any ideas to what it might be? It has been this way since I got it about 10 years ago, I have just refrained recording to it
unless it was for a final mix down track if needed, I found I really don't need that many tracks for what I do. It really isn't an issuel if you know about it , but if I sold it (which I am thinking of doing) the purchaser might not be so forgiving. The person I got it from said they never even used it, and it sat in his spare bedroom closet. So it has been stored correctly and not in a Moldy/humid Basement or dry attic
I was hoping it might be a simple thing such as a connector I could clean and re-seat.
The unit is solid and looks brand new, as a matter of fact I just peeled the factory clear protector off of the display because it was curling up, That is how minty it is. all tape functions are rock solid and there isn't even a scratch on it.
I'd sure love to get it 100% instead of 96%.... OR You could think of it in a positive way as you can do sound on sound recording on that track!
Is there anybody with experience working on these, or have a Service manual that may have a clue? I sure appreciate your input,
Orion

Last edited:
It sounds to me like current from the bias amplifier is not reaching the erase head coil for track 5.

You can confirm this by opening up the machine and finding a point where you can probe the track 5 erase head coil input for AC voltage while in record mode. You can probe the same point for other tracks while they are in record mode to get an idea of what voltage you should be seeing on track 5. I don't have a service manual so I can't be any more specific than that, but the above would be step 1. If there is no voltage then the task at hand is to find out why.

That sounds like a superb troubleshooting step. I guess if I can't track it down I am not going to even think about trying to sell it.
Even tho you can record on the track I would probably refrain from using it for anything other than a Mix Down track, and that is after I'd try it on another track, more than likely with all the channels available, and mix down options I could just not use 5. Personally I think the sound it captures is fantastic. I love Analog sound, it has a fullness and body "if done correctly" a Digital signal cannot reproduce, yes on paper the Digital frequency is extended, but I can tell the difference. ESPECIALLY on Vocals. I sure would love to find someone with a service manual that could pinpoint where those circuits are! It would make bread boarding it easier. Who knows, it probably came from Tascam this way, The thing was never used at all before I got it. Our band bought a new Digital Mixer when they first came out with a hard drive, well small HDD lol, I didn't like it, I heard some tracks made through one of these and that was it, the sound I was looking for!
As I have followed sales and see all the junk out there, in the shape they are in I would probably just kick myself for parting with it anyway. This is in absolutely new condition, heck I have never even seen another used one for sale that still has the fitted clear dust cover! Since we were inducted into the IRRMA HOF (Iowa R&R Hall of Fame) in 2012 we have slowed way down on live shows. Heck We have been together since the mid 80's, it is time for a little ME time on the recorder.
Thanks a ton for the advice, it seems logical to me..... Hopefully I can repay the favor some day...
Be well,
Orion

Simple things first - have you made absolutely sure that there is no fluff or gunk on the erase head? You say the deck looks clean but have you actually taken headcleaner to it? At that kind of track density it's very susceptible to dirt...

Hi JP thanks for the question as to cleaning, Yes that was the first thing I did. I also de-Magnitized the head. I am a child of the 60's, I grew up and still own, AND USE a number of Reel to Reel Machines. That is the first thing I did.
It is funny My 30 yr old Son made fun of my Akai on my Stereo, So I used one of my highest quality tapes and copied a song on CD,
I then played them back and flipped back and forth, I challenged him to turn around close his eyes and tell me which was which...
He couldn't do it! He has a whole new appreciation for Old School gear..
But yes I have special non abrasive micro fiber tipped cleaning sticks, The heads are clean as a whistle.. BTW I still love my Guild "Copy-Cat" Analog Tape delay on my Fender Guitar ;-).... Some things are just too good to die, they may fall out of favor, but if it is a sound idea, and a well executed product, it will be rediscovered. BTW if you use a tape delay unit, or need to do a 1/4" tape splice, cut the splice at a 2.5" diagonal cut, you get NO pop or noise!
40 years on Stage and still Rocking!
Thanks again JP, I sincerely appreciate your time. I just need to find the correct circuit...
Orion

Back