$400 For Calibrating ??

I read Dr. Zee's post(s) many times, carefully and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the Doc's strong implication that someone who can't callibrate is an idiot.

Btw, did you catch my own implication with regard to the "genius" part ? Either I didn't mean anything by it or I basically called anyone who can't figure out "the Doc's strong implication that someone who can't callibrate is an 'idiot'", stupid.

To me, at least, it sounds as if I called those people "stupid". I did this just to illustrate and in no way do I think that.

There are ways to indirectly insult people by way of strongly suggesting something or by association, whether it was meant or not. You don't neccessarily have to be direct.

I don't wish to appear mean spirited by bringing this up but the following begs to be a perfect showcase of the point of view that some of us hold and tried to get across:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=207619

I wish "antispatula" the best of everything but if you've followed his posts, you'll quickly realize the significance of this, rather sad but predicted turn of events.

People who still think it's generally a good idea to leave callibration, allignment or whatever you want to call it, to someone who has never done it and doesn't have the experience, is not serving the person at all with their careless "gung-ho" advice.

So in closing and I can't believe that I'm saying this but it is MCI2424's advice (and those who share it) which would have proved more helpful but sadly not Dr. Zee's (and those who share it).

Last edited:
Daniel, no ones called you an idiot. It's understandable your point of view, if you wanted a deck set up right to have an experienced tech set it up so you know all is right. The problem is once you've paid between $200 to $400 or more for your first full allignment, you're not going to want to touch it for a looong time after that. I least I know I wouldn't. So the time to learn is probably better before you have to bring it in to a tech. Or don't do it yourself at all, it doesn't matter. It's really not right or wrong. My tape deck right now is not going to be used in the condition it's in. I'm not the least bit worried about calibrating it myself nor do I think I'm going to have a problem doing it. Besides all this, why does Tascam, in thier manual urge you to buy the calibration tape and the basic tools to learn to do these things yourself?

As far as Antispatuala, so what? He's got ants in his pants :D which is normal for someone his age. No offense anti. ;) Besides, I thought he calibrated his first deck and sold it for $900? What happened? I'm not so concerned about his tech abilities as his sudden decision to go digital.

Last edited:
cjacek said:
There are ways to indirectly insult people by way of strongly suggesting something or by association, whether it was meant or not. You don't neccessarily have to be direct.
A strong suggestion is a strong suggestion, no more - no less. One can choose to be insulted by a strong suggestion (or by anything in that matter), and many do so, especially when expressing their feeling of being insulted seems to be benificial for and supportive of their agenda (or point of view).
Also, accusing a person, who makes a strong suggestion, in insult is rather a very strong suggestion on its own, but the difference is, that such suggestion is a DIRECT one.
Daniel, I choose to NOT get insulted by your direct strong suggestion ;)
Back to horse riding:

I can't help anyone with directions from Chicago to Los Angeles, but I can suggest to use MapQuest. I strongly suggest also that figuring out directions IS a piece of cake and so is horse riding. (btw, Feel free to get insulted by that suggestion :p )
Or you can take Amtrak. (Feel free to get insulted by that suggestion as well :D )
We all are Horse Riders under the Moon and we all ARE idiots by choice:

Attachments

• so_damn_lost.jpg
    so_damn_lost.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 71
Can't we all just get along? :)

Attachments

• Bunny.jpg
    Bunny.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 63
Beck said:
I have no idea what you are talking about... so here's bunny with pancake on its head.
I have never seen nor used a bunny with pancake on its head, but someone here might and can enlighten me a little further... ;)
(the above is also a hint/lead to what I was talking about)

As for humor, I would gladly laugh with you if I knew what you are laughing about. I guess, I'd choose to be an idiot in the area and keep my status quo - (having no idea what you are laughing about, that is), while you keep yours ( having no idea what I'm talking about, that is).
After all, We ARE horse riders in the desert and idiots by choice. Or did I say that already.?

We ride and we get lost and then we get up on the horse and ride again. That's what we do. That's what we are talking here about, sharing good experience and sharing bad experience, sharing knowledge and sharing cluelessness.

Some people see this place as a bunch of tourists in need for a tour guide and a camel handler. And some people in this place don't mind it. And why would one mind it if that's what he/she is (by choice of course).
And some people here see themselves exclusively as Tour Guides, and why not? After all we ARE idiots by choice. Or did I say it already?

/later

Attachments

• choice.jpg
    choice.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 58
Tim's "bunny with pancake on its head" is really not meant to have a deeper or hidden meaning. It's basically what you see is what you get. It's done to get us to once and for all agree on something for a change. It's also meant to lighten up the mood a little.

.......at least that's the way I see (or choose) to see it. ;)

cjacek said:
It's done to get us ....

..to get "us"? "Us"?!!! Us who? Rabbits? Roosters? or pitbulls in cage?
Oh... I see:
It is unlikely that anyone has been more prepared or destined to become an MMA referee than "Big" John McCarthy.
:D :p :D
I ,of course, speek for myself only, and I can tell you this: I don't need my mood to be lighten up ...not a lot, not a little. Look at my avatar :D

Daniel, are you sure that pancake on bunny's head is not insulting? :p I mean, BLOODY MURDER! heh heh heh , how dare You!???? !!!! Get mad. Get offended! :D :D
Maybe you need to look harder or something? ....

and, Tim! Good work, man :D
here's visual:

Attachments

• big john.jpg
    big john.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 52
I think that intelligent people will be able to easily differentiate between sensible writings and pure gibberish. I'll leave it to them to decide and so forgive if I don't comment any further to what has be said already, many, many times over. Enough is enough. :rolleyes:

cjacek said:
I think that intelligent people will be able to easily differentiate between sensible writings and pure gibberish. I'll leave it to them to decide ...
Fair enough.
As for me, - I'll decide myself what's what and leave dealing with the fear of screwing things up and its consequences to the intelligent ones. :D
...and, no, no deeper nor hidden meaning here, nothing sensible either here. Just another spit of pure gibberish... as always. :p

Looks Good

Looks like it fixed the problem. Calibrating went pretty easily, smoothly it was tedious and took a while but was definately worth it. Sounds like I've got my high end back, I just have to try it out for a while to see, but it's sounds like a big improvement. Acoustic sounded better right off the bat. I actually adjusted azimuth using the mixing board method and it seemed to work perfectly, so thanks cjacek for the link. According to that method the azimuth was WAY out of whack. Probably through shipping, but it lined right up.
Thanks to all who helped! :cool:

Back