Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 4-track cassette setup for acoustic guitar and vocals?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Not sure I'd necessarily describe old tape media as fragile (apart from those suffering from sticky-shed). I've amazed how good 40+ year old tapes still sound that haven't had any special care taken of them - some even stored in a loft. And most audio recorders and players can be fixed pretty easily with a few new belts and help from this forum - I guess VCR players are a lot more of a challenge though!

Thanks
    Thanks for the info about the Wolverine JP - I hadn't heard of it before. It be great is someone could make a cheap reel-to-reel. I guess the film transport in the Wolverine is fairly easy though, as with movie film you have a simple claw action for frame by frame advance. But if it does sound also you would have to have a head and a a half decent transport.

Thanks
    I've had cassettes where the pressure pad just fell off the holder, or like some old Memorex cassettes that use a foam "spring", the foam just rotted. Yeah, you can recover the pancake by putting in another case, but what a pain! While reel tape is probably sturdier, I wouldn't want to archive on cassette or elcaset. And if you look at the loss from the Universal fire from this spring, you can see why having a backup is important.

BTW, a while back I was in a local music store. The original owner was a musician from the late sixties who also worked with one of the studios that is long closed up. He managed to save the studio tapes that were destined for the trash heap, thereby saving a big portion of Louisville's music history.

Some of the music was used for a series on the local public broadcasting channel some years back. It brought back some memories.
    old-tapes-jpg

Now... back to our regularly scheduled conversation!

Thread Information