4 Track analog recorder

sae

I am looking for a 4 track recorder that will record 4 tracks simulataneously. I would prefer digital but will survive with tape. Let me know if it's possible to find one under US$150. I don't need a fance eq or anything of the sort just has to record 4 tracks at once.

One word............

E-bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can find many, many good deals there on lots of cassette-based 4-tracks. You may even score a digital unit pretty cheap, so shop around and good luck!!!!!! Steve :rolleyes:

hell, you can get new cassette 4tracks for under $150 now, can't you?
i got a tascam 246 off of ebay for about $300... made in 1985, but built like a tank. solid unit that also functions as a mixer if need be, and easy to operate.
i've even gotten familiar with cool edit pro and other digital software, but there's something about watching that tape spin in front of you....
the more everyone falls for digital equipment, the easier it will be to get better analog stuff cheaper.
.......what do you plan to record with it???????

Fostex X-24 will suit your needs, but, man is it noisy...

4-track simultaneous record
2 XLR

prolly find one on ebay for ~150.

I think the Tascams are generally regarded as better units, but I've never tried them.

Queue

Queue....

I'm thinking of buying a simple fostex 4track, and you said yours (assuming) is noisey? Is it like really bad, or like lo-fi sort bad, like acceptable?

I freakin' "co-own" a tascam 8track, 488 mk2... But you know how co-own goes, when you and the bandmate part ways-but never officially admitted it to each other, I'm afraid to ask for it... Though, he has a Tascam 4track, I may 'borrow' indefinitely...

Back to my question, queue, cheap fostex thumbs way down on sound quality?

thanks
jacob

I was looking on Ebay and there are a lot of really good deals. What I want to do with the four track is record drums (then dump the tracks into my pc to mix) and for something just to put ideas down as they come to me. I really want something that does 4 tracks at once (recording as well as playback). If it doesn't have that then I am not very interested.

I am looking for a four track as a wedding present to myself from my groomsmen. Just in case anyone wanted to know

Sam

Jacob,
Depends on what you intend to do. I found my Fostex a great tool in learning if I could multitrack and record songs. The stuff I made had lots of background noise, but it served its purpose until I could upgrade to a soundcard. If I were you I'd go work out some sort of arrangement with that band mate.

Sae,
Sounds like wedding sabotage :eek: a present that will cause you to spend countless hours with your music and not with your new bride. I hope she is either very into your music, or very tolerant in general...

The X24 will do what you said, but please check into the Tascams too. Hopefully someone will come along who has compared them and can comment on differences.

Queue

I never thought about it as wedding sabotage before...but makes no difference anyway because we played in a band together and have done some recording also. And she encourages me in my hobbies a lot so it should work out well. The only thing I have to worry about is the neighbours in our apartment building!

Back