388 User Leveling up to M3500

I may have confused it.

I have a TRS cable connecting the channel inserts to the patch bay. Then I use 1 TRS jack to input the cable of the patch bay. I set the patch bay so all the jacks are independent through stereo jacks that close across the Tip and Ring when no plug is present (forgot the terminology). You then get 32 channels from a 16 channel patch bay or 48 channels from a 24 channel patch bay. Then you plug the Y connector between the patch bay and the compressor or whatever.

Just to confuse it more :rolleyes: I have other patch bays in the rack with TS mono jacks that are connected to the compressors and other processors with one jack in and one out, therefore you can plug a short Y lead between the 2 patch bays and patch any processor to any channel. The real plus side is that by using a mono straight patch lead you can daisy chain compressors or have a compressor after an EQ etc, if you want too.

Alan.

Ok that's helpful. I think you are meaning it's De-normaled

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 11.26.35 AM.png

But would love for others input, since there are four ways to set the DBX-PB48

"I have a TRS cable connecting the channel inserts to the patch bay" -- That's from the back of the mixer to the back of the patchbay?

"Then I use 1 TRS jack to input the cable of the patch bay" -- I don't know what you mean here. Can you be mores specific?

"Then you plug the Y connector between the patch bay and the compressor or whatever" -- So this is the Y/spllit part coming out of the back of say a compressor, and it goes into one of the top or bottom rows of the patchbay?

I also just found this out from Gearslutz:

A lot of old reverbs and processors are really always mono input. Many ( NOT ALL) will sum the stereo input process it and create a stereo chorus or effect. Very few can I think of processed a stereo input in stereo. The main reason ( OFTEN NOT ALWAYS) for a stereo input is to mix the stereo input with the reverb or chorus generated in the unit. This is a function I believe was used more in MIDI keyboard racks then in mixing back in the day. Today with plug ins it is common to put a track thru a reverb plug in and mix in the plug in.

Usually in mixing back in the day the mix in the effect set to full effect and no input signal so stereo input wasn't needed.
If when using the effect for the pure return sending to one side should have little downside if you are wired stereo except a little less level and a touch more noise possible. If you want to mix the direct signal with the verb or whatever in the effects box that is when you would want to use both inputs.
In my experience Lex 224, 480, were almost always used mono in stereo out, pcm 60 and 70, spx 90 were only mono in. REV 7 had a stereo input but for processing it summed to mono internally.

But I need to take up all four of my effect returns for reverbs since both the RV-70 and Lexicon PCM 90 are stereo outs. Correct?

Last edited:
Ok that's helpful. I think you are meaning it's De-normaled

View attachment 103460

But would love for others input, since there are four ways to set the DBX-PB48

"I have a TRS cable connecting the channel inserts to the patch bay" -- That's from the back of the mixer to the back of the patchbay?

"Then I use 1 TRS jack to input the cable of the patch bay" -- I don't know what you mean here. Can you be mores specific?

"Then you plug the Y connector between the patch bay and the compressor or whatever" -- So this is the Y/spllit part coming out of the back of say a compressor, and it goes into one of the top or bottom rows of the patchbay?

To get the most out of your setup get a full patchbay and make everything patchable.
Channel,group,stereo bus inserts,rack effects,tape machine,DAW etc...
Several more of the DBX units should do the trick and are quite flexible regarding normalling.

G

Alan, have you ever tried processing like this (form the Brauer post another user linked to) using the Groups on the M3500?

View attachment 103461

I'm back LOL.

Big Saturday in the studio, and a real busy day yesterday.

The attachment link did not work for me?

De-normalised for the patchbay that has the through signal. The patchbay with the, lets call it, extended insert points has a single stereo jack at the back de-normalised to a stereo jack at the front that closes across the tip and ring when nothing is inserted.

Alan.

Sweetwater got back to me. The cables are only $27 a piece (!!!)

Where are you exactly (I see "Brooklyn" listed as your location)...?

I use to run a 3500 for years (I still have it, but I switched to a Trident 24 London a couple of years ago)...and I have a PILE of Hosa cables that I use to use with the 3500, including the "Y" insert cables.
I'm north of NYC, up by Middletown, NY....I will give you the whole pile of cables...you feel like taking a ride? :)

Well, that's just about the best offer I think I'm going to receive. Problem is I moved back to CA in April. I'll update my profile.

What if I paid you shipping/handling?

Well, that's just about the best offer I think I'm going to receive. Problem is I moved back to CA in April. I'll update my profile.

What if I paid you shipping/handling?

I think if you're talking a couple cables or a lot of cables...it might be cheaper to just buy them new from places that offer free shipping...because the cost of shipping (especially with a lot of cables) would probably end up being the same as buying them new with free shipping.
The cables are heavy...so it's hard to get around that when shipping...which is why I thought if you were within driving distance, it might be the best way...but, CA is too far... :D...even if I was to meet you half-way! :p

I would also go check out the stuff on eBay...there's a lot of great deals to be found on new cables, with free shipping.
Also, since you're in CA...check the local Craigslist and musician classifieds, there a LOT of studios large and small, and lots of used gear to be purchased.

You know that I made a whole lot of these myself and it was cheap. Can you solder?

Alan.

Yeah, for sure it's the best way to go. :thumbs up:.

Back when I first bought my 3500 (1990)...I just went with some ready made Hosa cables to get going, but I was soldering my own going back to the late '70s when I was in bands. Back then it was hard to find ready made, so we would by bulk cable and make our own snakes, etc.

When I moved back in '99 and set up my current studio...pretty much every cable was cut from bulk and I spent endless hours soldering connectors, not to mention the patchbay connections at the back, which were all soldered :facepalm:
I've got miles f cabling in my studio...all hand-soldered connections.
That said, I also have a pile of ready made stuff that just seems to accumulate from thin air (I think the male/female ends are having sex). :p

When I switched out the 3500 to the Trident a couple of years ago, I acquired a few more patchbays and a bunch of high-end cabling that I then had to cut into my existing setup and that was a lot more soldering.

It pays to know how to solder.
I think I have about 7-8 irons and all kinds of extra soldering peripherals...and I also have a high-end de-soldering gun (worth every penny) that I picked when I re-capped the Trident. Not to mention...I have enough raw cable to rewire another studio! I keep thinking one of these days I'll either move the studio or expand it, so I've got all this 48-channel Mogami cabling out in my shed that's ready to go.

That said, I also have a pile of ready made stuff that just seems to accumulate from thin air (I think the male/female ends are having sex). :p

HAHAHA

Yeah I know how to solder. I did all my mic cables when I first got into this. The difference is now I have a job and a family...

Out of curiosity (and for others who may come across the thread or wiring up an ancient beast like this) where would you buy the bulk cable from?

Also, what about Uship for the cables? You just set a price and eventually some truck comes along down that way. It's how I got the M3500 here to CA

I buy 50 or 100 mtr (approx 30ft) rolls most of the time, but I get it from Altronics but I think they are only in Australia. I have bought cable off ebay a few times when the price was right.

There must be a load of places like this in the USA

Alan

So it looks like I bought a scam off eBay and I'm going to have get rid of the M3500 at a discount since I don't have a PSU.

Once I get refunded the $1K (it's been 7 months + of waiting with nothing from GRS Systems) I need to decide on a board that can interface with the MSR-16S

Anyone have recs?

Before I bought the m3700 I had a m2524 and the msr16, good combination. Not a m3700 but still good. Has midi mute and scene which is handy.

So it looks like I bought a scam off eBay and I'm going to have get rid of the M3500 at a discount since I don't have a PSU.

Once I get refunded the $1K (it's been 7 months + of waiting with nothing from GRS Systems) I need to decide on a board that can interface with the MSR-16S

Anyone have recs?

So you bought this PSU 7 months ago and it's a no show?
EBay says seller is away.
That sucks.

Anyone have recs?

First off...not sure you had drop $1k for a PSS for the 3500. Looks like serious overkill.

Second...not sure why you're waiting 7 months and nothing from them...when they sold someone else a PSU, and the buyer left them positive feedback just in the last month. They alos have a lot of listings for PSUs...and they have 100% positive feedback...so it's kind of odd you're waiting 7 months.

eBay Feedback Profile for sst-studio-systems-technologies

Did you get any kind of replies from them over the 7 months as to why it was taking so long?
Heck, I wouldn't have waited even one month, unless they specifically said they needed a certain amount of time to build it...?

Check out these guys...they are in the UK, but build PSUs for a lot of consoles, and they are more reasonable.
The 3500 doesn't need something too crazy...it's a pretty straightforward PSU.

Blue Dog PSUs

First off...not sure you had drop $1k for a PSS for the 3500. Looks like serious overkill.

1k does seem excessive. I could swear i just saw on guitar center a few days ago the same mixer, with power supply and meter bridge for 200 bucks
Edit:
Never mind it wasn't an m3500

Back