388 Track 5 'Right' pan doesn't work till I crank audio into it

I've read about this issue before, but now it's happening with my machine.

Basically, Track 5 will intermittently only playback in the Left channel, but if I hard pan it right, turn up the volume and eqs it'll break it free of whatever problem it has. Track 1 also does this, but no where near as much.

Anyone know whats causing this? I'm going to jiggle the cards a touch as i've recently moved the machine, but this was happening a bit before the move anyway.

I use a Tascam M2600 console that's similar to your piece of gear. Switches can get intermittent if they're not exercised so I thought I'd suggest that. Sometimes the inserts do a similar thing, but those aren't in a part of the circuit that would affect panning. Perhaps just running the pan knob through its full range left to right a few times will help. I've had one side go out if I don't change the pan settings for a while. If that doesn't do it, it might be time to bring in a trained technician.

If it was me I’d tip the machine on its side, remove the bottom panel and carefully exercise the connections of the long buss PCBs that run across the bottom of the channel PCBs and monitor/master PCBs. There may be an oxidized connection there or possible a cold solder joint, and if you do this while monitoring signal through your troublesome channel you might be able to isolate the an area by gently exercising connections. Be careful if you do this; make sure the machine is stable and be aware there is live voltage in there.

Yeah it’s been unused for a little while and there’s been some issues that have just worked themselves out now it’s powered up and being used more so I’m definitely keeping an eye on it. Was just wondering if it’s a thing that can be traced to a common problem. Thanks!

Back