388 parts needed or buy my parts deck?

zorf

I was piggy backing on another thread and decided to start a new one.

I picked up a 388 locally for a hundred bucks from the original owner.
Said it had been sitting for years. Said it worked great the last time he used it.
He tried to demo it and the trnsport slowed down to a crawl.
I figured sticky shed or dried out lube and took a chance.

dropped it off at the local tascam place for a check up.
turns out the capstan motor bracket is missing (!)
Someone had also wrapped the flywheel with masking tape to use a smaller belt (!)

He said the heads LOOK ok, but cant test for sure with the transport
unoperable.
The mixer passes signal, meters work, etc.

He said he called Tascam and the part is no longer available (!)

So, boat anchor, parts deck, or should i try and scrounge parts?
I don't see myself collecting a bunch of these because they are so big.
thanks

I'm pretty sure belts are available. Someone here might have parts. I just sent my last bit of 388 to a reel person.

IMG_6811-1.jpg

Need the measurements to make it easier, but I bet you could fashion a u shaped bracket by customizing something from a hardware store, or from scratch with a vise and a pair of pliers, and a drill. Of course buying a used one trumps that, just saying if all else fails. Belts are still available, so if it's just a matter of a bracket to get a working unit..

hey thanks,
I'm going to pick it up on monday and take a look.
In the meantime if anybody has a parts machine, or if they want mine
for parts, i'm interested.
thanks

Maybe I can help make the part

Shedshrine is right, the part seems eazy to make, can be done with aluminum. I have a machine shop background and access to a full shop, not an expert but I still have all my fingers. Looks like it has a bearing on it for the flywheel shaft, could be oilite/bronze (my guess) or a ball type. The mounting hole dimensions, shaft outside diameter and height would be critical for the bearing placement. If someone had the part to lend me or if a drawing exsist, I can probably make a new one cheep. It really doesn't look hard to make, just putting the bends, bearing and and 2 holes in the right place. lemme know!

Jerry

you guys are the best.

I'll see if i can bring it home from the tascam hospital today and open it up.
If i do, i'll post up photos.

thanks

Cool.
You can PM me if you want to sell the part or maybe you want to
keep it for yourself?
I was told today when i picked it up that it needs the bearing, also.
Maybe that's still available from tascam?
I'll pop the bottom panel off later today or first thing in the morning.
thanks!

OK,
Opened it up.
Looks clean and neat except for the missing bracket.
I'm not sure what he meant by bearing, i'll check the manual.
DSCN1452.jpg

Interesting.......

Maybe he means the main flywheel bearing? (see pic) Rock the flywheel gently side to side then up and down, if you see/feel some "slop" maybe the bearing's worn. A REAL SMALL amount of play should be OK. I guessed wrong about the bracket having a bearing on it for the shaft, the dimple in the middle must be for clearance.

Attachments

• Zorf pic.JPG
    Zorf pic.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 60
About the belt

This may sound silly but just for S n' G's and just to try the machine out, see if you can find one of those jumbo rubber bands and slip it on. I have seen assortment bags of wide/thick rubber bands, one may fit. Stand by the power switch if you do this in case the machine "rejects" the temporary belt. Can't remember the machine but did this once and the machine ran find and the "belt" lasted a week! Ahhhh....the wonders of tape machines!

Just remembered, I think I used 2 rubber bands stacked, but you may want to start with 1.

Great you found a bracket, please don't try the rubber band idea on this model, wrong belt can burn up the motor and you will be out $ 140.00 for a replacement :)

Yeah I hope the motor is ok- the previous owner had wrapped masking tape around the flywheel to allow using a smaller belt!

So i measured the play on the flywheel and it was quite a bit-maybe an eighth inch front to back.

I loosened the set screws on the collar and pushing the shaft gently from the other side took out most of the play. I retightened the set screws and spun the flywheel by hand. I believe manual suggests .1 to .3mm. if i'm reading it correctly.
It spun true ( to the eye ) quiet, and went a long time.
So possibly i dont need a new bearing?

When i spun the capstain motor wheel ( the white one equidistant between
the motors) on the other hand, it seemed to have some wobble. Maybe not a problem because it is under direct load?

sorry 'bout that....

Sorry about the rubber band "belt" suggestion to Zorf. Vintage Texas is right. Guess I took some chances in my day! If the pully wobbles when it spins, the shaft could be bent or out of round. Can you take the pully off and try to spin the shaft by hand? Kinda like a quick spin? Look to see or feel in you fingers if the shaft wobbles. If it spinns true, look at the shaft hole on the pully and see if the hole is really "round".

Jerry

Well,
( if anybody cares)
After getting a missing part ( thanks, tommy! ), some new tape, and a good cleaning, I got the transport checked out.
It works, but there is drag somewhere.
I dont know if the brakes are not releasing, but when i gently pull down on the tension arms, everything
runs smoothly.

I'm think i'm ready to donate for parts and just look around for something in better shape.

Back