[SOLVED] 388 Headphone Output Problem

Mark7

When the pan knob is centred the output to the headphones is severely attenuated. It gets louder if I pan left or right but the signal is mono. The signal via the monitor out jack to an amp and speakers is unaffected and behaves as normal: i.e. the volume is the same no matter where the pan knob is pointing. I think I can get around the headphone amp issue by using the phones out jack on my amp for listening on cans but I would prefer to get it sorted out. So... What can I do?

Bear in mind that I have no previous experience with electronics repairs.

Last edited:
Tried the headphones out in my stereo amp. Thinking it might be the adaptor that's at fault.

The same, The signal was stronger when the balance was panned left or right. Although bear in mind that I was listening to a stereo mix rather than the mono tracks that I was listening to on the 388 the centre position sound was still somewhat weaker.

What sort of adapter is it?
This sounds like L+R having opposite polarity, maybe, but that's not something that would happen with one of the solid 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters.

Either way, I guess, try the switcheroo. :)

It's a mini-jack to 1/4" adaptor

Listening over the stereo everything is fine. Monitor or main mix.

If the headphone jack is damaged and there is no ground-sleeve-the headphones will act just the way you describe.

If the problem happens with two different headphone outputs, I’d be getting a new adapter and trying that. I would not assume the 388 headphone jack is the problem if you have the problem with the headphone output of a different device. The problem follows the headphones/headphone adapter, so that’s where the problem resides.

Yeah, it happens with both headphone outputs on the 388 (I wonder why Tascam decided to put two on it instead of just one?) and also the headphone out on my stereo amp. Need to find new adaptor.

Yeah, it happens with both headphone outputs on the 388 (I wonder why Tascam decided to put two on it instead of just one?) and also the headphone out on my stereo amp. Need to find new adaptor.

When in many studio situations those headphone adapters were often times trouble when used a lot or if they are not new.
Since 3.5mm plugs and jacks are certainly not a professional type product, you can do away with the need for adapters by just terminating a set of headphones to a TRS 1/4" type connector. I have done it many times. Then all the headaches with adapters are taken out of the picture.
As for the pan pot being less volume in the center where equal levels of each channel are mixed, I would like it was said before look for a phase error cause. One channel can have either connector wired wrong or the switch on some mixers have an invert position to do away with phase errors on the fly.
Of course a Technician would insert a 1KHz signal to the input and then detect with a dual trace scope what is coming out the unit.
It would be normal to have the equal mix (center pan) of a signal that is out of phase to have less output as they are cancelling themselves out.
Just some ideas.

I've ordered a new adaptor but will consider replacing the 3.5 mm jack with a proper 1/4"

Good news. It was the adaptor, New one arrived in the mail today and works perfectly. :D

Unlike my right ear :(

Back