It Was 30 Years Ago Today

dodgeaspen

John Lennon has been gone 30 years today. I was only 7 but I remember seeing it on the news. My parents weren't a big Beatles fan, so I didn't discover the phenomena until I was about 12. It's sad that John was not able to continue his music.

Yeah, I agree. I often wonder what type of controversy he'd have been caught up in if he were still around nowadays though. He was a pretty powerful figure.

"On a cold December evening, I was walking through the Christmastide
When a stranger came up and asked me if I'd heard John Lennon had died
And the two of us went to this bar, and we stayed to close the place
And every song we played was for the late great Johnny Ace."
-- Paul Simon, The Late Great Johnny Ace

( YouTube - The Late Great Johnny Ace )

years later there was that bit in Forrest Gump,
that nice young man from England was coming home to see his little boy, and he was signin' some autographs when, for no reason at all, somebody shot him.

kinda puts it in perspective.

I remember the day he died.And I was only 5 years old.
It was most likely the day after becuase I lived in England at the time and I was most likely sleeping when the news broke.
The reason for me remembering at such a young age was because it was such a huge thing.
It was non stop on the radio and t.v. And you couldn't escape it.I remember my parents
talking about it.I still have a cassette tape my dad put in the radio to record all the news stories that day.Both sides full,but the sound quality is pretty poor now.
And I was a little Beatles fan at that age too.
Still my favourite band of all time.

RIP John.

I was 22 at the time, going to University and old enough to have known the Beatles and been very affected by them growing up.
The news of Lennon's death saddened me to the core, it was like losing a close friend, because his music had been such an integral part of my growing up.
I think for a lot of us we lost our sense of Innocence that day, and the world became a much colder, darker place.
Even today 30 years on I still have a hard time coming to terms with the events of that day.
Such a senseless loss.

YouTube - We're So alone

The sad part of his death is that he was, on many occasions, advised to have personal security which he declined.

We know the result.

Moments before he was shot Chapman asked for and received Lennon's autograph then he drew his pistol and fired 6-8 shots.

Amazing that with Yoko next to him that she was not hit.

Back