3 mil tape in a 388

batterista

I got a few reels by accident (I know it's supposed to run w/ only 1 mil tape). Load/RTZ functionality aside, will using this tape thickness damage the 388? Burn out the motors quickly...or over time if I keep using them?

I've got a couple correct reels, but curious if I should just turn around and ebay the 3 mil ones... which I don't want to do b/c I've never sold anything on Ebay anyways...

If I say what I'm about to say, there is a good chance that there will be a counter-point coming soon...:D

My opinion: best to use what was spec'ed for the deck. Anything thicker will indeed require more of the deck to move...how much more? What will be effected? Maybe the increased wear will insiginficant amount that will go unnoticed for the rest of the unit's life...maybe there will be no effect, but I feel why risk it? Now I say that with 1.5mil tape vs. 1mil tape in mind, but 3mil tape? I'd pass on using that.

Wow, I've never even heard of 3 mil tape. Maybe its instrumentation tape or something?
In any case, Sweets correct...do NOT use this on your 388. The machine is spec'd for 1 mil tape for a reason besides the autoload feature. Thicker tape will stress the motors and wear the unit quicker.

Sell the 3 mil

That's not 3mil tape, it is +3 1.5mil tape. The 3 relates to the "output level" of the tape, or more accurately stated it relates to how much signal over "0" the tape can handle before reaching 12% distortion, "0" being an industry standard flux or magnetic energy level (250nwb/m equates to +3 right guys?).

It should be fine, but I still would prefer 1mil 457 or LPR35 if it was my deck.

I really like the LPR-35 tape. I believe it is +6? For here at home enljoying our "analog hobby" on a Tascam 38, I'm very pleased with the results. It will take a lot of signal to tape and don't really need to consider NR for what we do.

That's not 3mil tape, it is +3 1.5mil tape. The 3 relates to the "output level" of the tape, or more accurately stated it relates to how much signal over "0" the tape can handle before reaching 12% distortion, "0" being an industry standard flux or magnetic energy level (250nwb/m equates to +3 right guys?).

It should be fine, but I still would prefer 1mil 457 or LPR35 if it was my deck.

Thanks for that clarification. Now I'm tempted to use them, considering variances of .5 mil seem to be common.

Yes, LPR35 is equivalent to 457, which is a 1mil +6 tape.

A lot of people really like the sound of 406.

1.5 mm tape, like 406, won't kill your 388. It will technically wear all of the parts faster, but many people use 456 on the 388 (which is also a 1.5 mm tape) and it's not a big deal.

The 1 mm equivalent of 406 is 407. The one thing I would implore you to do first is check the sticky shed thread that is posted in this forum. Some Quantegy tape is no good and can cause problems for your deck, but there is a way to check against this by the date stamped on the tape's box.

This is the aforementioned thread:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=228067

-MD

1.5 mm tape, like 406, won't kill your 388. It will technically wear all of the parts faster, but many people use 456 on the 388 (which is also a 1.5 mm tape) and it's not a big deal.

The 1 mm equivalent of 406 is 407. The one thing I would implore you to do first is check the sticky shed thread that is posted in this forum. Some Quantegy tape is no good and can cause problems for your deck, but there is a way to check against this by the date stamped on the tape's box.

This is the aforementioned thread:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=228067

-MD

Thanks man. The 406 reels I got are sticky shed free. I'll go w/ the new RMGI reels going forward, but will make use of the 5 406 reels I've got on hand.

I love this forum. Y'all rule!

Back