244 Belt keeps jumping off pulley

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
I was fiddling around with my other 244 yesterday replacing the belts and tires. I buttoned it all up and pushed play and the thing moved for a second then stopped. Well..... I took it all apart, and the new capstan belt that I got off ebay keeps coming off the motor pulley.... within half a turn of pushing play.

Two things come to mind....

1. The belt is too wide

2. the motor pulley is misaligned

Has any one else had this problem? Is there any adjustment to aligned the motor/pulley?

Thanks,

Brad

My first thought is that the belt is most likely too wide. How does the tension feel when you put it on?

I would imagine that if the pulley were misaligned, it would be fairly easy to see a wobble while it were spinning.

This happened to me twice. Once with a 244 and then again with a 246. Both times were with belts bought from Dynamic Technology Group (or something like that) from CA. It was the belts both times. Both of these things happened soon after putting the new belts on and I was pretty annoyed that they were failing like that within months. After talking to some pro techs over at Tapeheads I was schooled in the art of buying quality belts from reliable vendors like Marrs and Vintage Electronics. I payed twice the money for them but they still work great over a year later, so it was worth it.

These companies (especially Marrs) have been in the reel to reel and cassette game for years and have good reputations for selling top of the line factory spec belts and other parts for analog tape decks. When I first got the new ones in the mail I was shocked to see the difference right away. They were darker, felt stronger and just had that look of quality that you want in a glorified rubber band haha! Seriously though, I don't recommend buying those cheap belts from eBay and think you'll have better luck with a belt kit from either place I just named.

Thanks guys!!! It is a DTG belt. I'll call TASCAM tomorrow and order one (thats where I ordered the last one without a problem)

....unfortunately the thing ate one of my demo tapes too......

Back