2340 reluctant solenoid

technoplayer

Recovering Gear-aholic
I was doing a re-start on my dormant Teac 2340R and all is well except the solenoid that pulls in the pinch roller seems wimpy. What i mean is usually the solenoiid on these pull in with a sharp click; now it comes in a bit slower.
I lubed the pivot points and cleaned the solenoid barrel, and it makes no real difference.The solenoid does not engage fast enough, the reel moters somtimes pull the tape at a higher speed unitl the pinch roller makes contact. It is much more pronounced in two channel mode when kicking into reverse play. The solenoids that release the reel brakes click off, but the pinch roller solenoid never "clicks" in, but kind of slowly mushes in.

i am looking for learned opinions: Is this symptomatic of
1) Bad or weak solenoid
2) Bad or weak component like a capactor in that circuit ( no I do NOT have a schematic) that might not be passing full voltage
3) Possible bad "other" circuitry.

The machine is pristine and everything else functions perfect.

?????

Not sure how the solenoid plunger is constructed on a 2340, but on the 48 and 58 there is an 'e' snap-ring around the end of the plunger (the end that lives outside the solenoid body), and then there is a rubber washer, a "cushion" that goes in between the e-ring and the face of the solenoid so that the plunger doesn't go "clack" when the plunger travel stops as it goes into the solenoid, but kind of goes "tup". These cushions are prone to the same breakdown maladies as belts and rollers...in other words they can turn to a drippy tarry mess, and in the early stages of this breakdown they just get tacky...really tacky...enough to cause the plunger travel to be slow and slothly. Both my 48 and 58 had problems with this to varying degrees when I got them. Some cushions were totally fine, while others had literally degraded into a tarry paste and all stages in between. So check that out. It sounds very familiar to me. I had some solenoids that were fine, but then others, like my pinch roller solenoid on the 58, that I'd have to give a count of 4 before it would do its thing...

The linkage is most likely the problem, look at the cylinder in the picture, # 5 + # 8 ,slide the arm off where the pinch-roller is attached, clean both parts and use 2-drops of light machine oil before assembly again.:)
Pinch-roller should fall down and go up without any resistance on 2340.
76d701df.jpg

The 2340 does not have the rubber washer. The end of the solenoid plunger hooks directly to a fork on the end of the pivot arm..(great drawing VT..Thanks). I shot some turbine oil down that pivot shaft previously, but now will go in and disassemble and fully clean the shaft,and while im at it, the solenoid plunger and cavity. Watching the action of the solenoid, however, makes it look like the solenoid is not even trying to pull in. Time to dig in deeper.....

I have the same problem with my 2340x and I think DrZee does too with his 3340. Sometimes mine doesn't go up at all. But it's workable so I haven't bother with it.

In some cases they can be stubborn, and disassembly needed, or you can try this:
Heat up the sleeve section # 5 with a solder-iron on high for a couple of minutes, then oil between # 8 + # 5 with your turbine oil, work the pinc-roller linkage from the front and also give nr: 11 + 12 a drop of oil.
Be careful so you don't burn any wires while heating up the sleeve, been there done that:)

Good luck, keep us posted how it goes

i'll give it a shot after Ike does its thnig. Too busy tying down loose outside items and clearing the storm drains!!

Back