For $200 I'm expecting the worst...

Yeah I'm gonna go get it, go through it and flip it if it's functioning well, part it out if it's DOA...money is a serious ongoing issue with medical debt and continuing divorce-related legal expenses. So I keep my feelers out for easy flip opportunities. I feel a bit low-life-ish for this, but desperate times...you know how the saying goes.

I'm fully expecting for $200 there are issues with the unit, the manual is a mangled photocopy, the remote is a home-brew, and the tape is all shamrock.

Hey why not. In someone else's hands it could be a doorstop. In your's it could become a decent functional machine that will provide joy to someone else.
So if you make some dough in the process, all the better.

Hopefully, it'll only need some minor repairs. Seems like the owner might not be in touch with what these have been selling for as they might have to sell it for even more (and probably have gotten it.) Last summer I saw an ad for one that said "For sale. 388 8-track. Old machine from the days when people used tape. Don't know if you can even buy tpe anymore but it could make a nice mixer! $150!!"

I contacted that guy so quick, but it wasn't quick enough cuz someone was already on the way to pick it up. The ad had been up on craigslist for only an hour. There's a lot of people with older analog gear that think it's worthless and just want to make a quick $100 so hopefully it's one of those situations man. Keep us posted.

It's a busy Tascam day...

Just dropped the 238 off at FedEx...it, along with the RC-88 remote, MMC-100 interface, and a couple 8-channel snakes sold for $600 + S&H...I think I spent like $500 altogether on it including the new capstan motor assembly and servo from Teac. But that was over a couple-three years, so a little profit and a return on my investment is really good right now.

And then in a couple hours I take off for a 6-hour round trip to go collect the 388 that is the subject of this thread. Talked to the seller on the phone and he seems on the up-and-up...curious to see what I actually bought.

Well, the new "toy" is going to get a going-over and turned around for hopefully a profit.

On an unrelated note I'm still driving the same station wagon I've had since 1997. It's a '91 model. It's the same one I used to retrieve the Tascam M-__ from Burbank, CA back in 2009. I recall having a safety inspection done on the car before I made that 2,300 mile round trip. They told me I really needed to replace my CV joints...they said they were really bad, like don't go more than 5,000 more miles on them. The car had around 160,000 miles on then. It has over 210,000 miles on it now...haven't done anything with the CV joints yet. I will say they make quite a clatter. Maybe this is the trip one of them fails. I keep tempting fate. At least I have AAA. :D

In these wee hours as I bomb down the interstate with my cargo, drafting behind a FedEx truck, the thought occurs to me I think I feel the same for my janky but ever faithful wagon as Han Solo does for the Millenium Falcon.

I haven't tested any audio functions (though I can see meter activity for all 8 tape tracks in PLAY), but it would seem I just picked up a straight-up, no jank happily functioning 388...2 PGM meter lamps are out, but all other indicators work, and all transport functions work...the rubber seems in good shape, and the rollers all roll quite nicely. It is relatively filthy, but should clean up nice...very little in the way of scratches, scuffs or dings on this unit. I'm surprised. There were some service records from 2000-2002 included with it...more on that later. It's just a nice, straight and complete unit.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The tape path looks good! Almost too good...hm...maybe the R/P head has been relapped...more on that later.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When I was presented with the "instructions", my assumption the manual was a photocopy or a hard-copy print of that horrible quality pdf that's here and there on the internet was confirmed...a generic 3-ring binder:

image.jpeg

BUT...open it up and bingo, original bound factory manual, with the fold-out tabloid schematics!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And the remote? A proper RC-71. A bit weathered...needs some cleaning up and a new strain relief grommet, but all the pins are straight and present on the plug.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And there's more...

A punch in pedal,

image.jpeg

...some vintage rack gear (Alesis MIDIverb, BOSS RCL-10 and BBE 362...the first two are without power supplies, but I'm not worried about finding something that will work...

image.jpeg

And that's not all...

Nice find Cory!!! Shoot..... that Midiverb alone will cover the gas costs!!!!

Looks like you got a great deal!!

In these wee hours as I bomb down the interstate with my cargo, drafting behind a FedEx truck, the thought occurs to me I think I feel the same for my janky but ever faithful wagon as Han Solo does for the Millenium Falcon.

THE best eBay road trip quote I''ve ever heard !!!!

Thanks, guys! :D

So the other goodie that came with the bundle is tape. The listing said it came with a "pile" of tape, but seeing as it was all just $200, and I've *never* bought a tape machine that actually came with usable tape...it's always been garbage...I figured it was gonna be garbage. Well, score yet again:

IMG_6908.JPG

IMG_6907.JPG

Do I wish it was all Quantegy 457? Yes. I don't like the 1.5mil stuff for the 388. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the transport has to work harder compared to when using 1mil tape. And I'm pretty sure the 388 can't properly bias the 499. But all the 499 should be SSS free, even the Ampex branded reels...and the tape and reels are all in nice shape. And the 456 is all good Quantegy stock and two reels are unopened. ;)

On another topic, the record/play head looks good, but different. Then as I was looking at the service records it solved the mystery; it's been relapped. I think the previous owner was having trouble with the tape edge lifting from the wear groove in the head being too narrow when you switch tape stock. It's a problem with the 388 because there are no edge slots cut into the head. So the relap included cutting edge slots which is nice. That's what looked different but I couldn't put my finger on it. Anyway, looks like it got a full workup and appears to have little use since the work.

IMG_6905.JPG

And it looks like there was a transport control logic problem that was fixed by replacing an IC...and the original IC was tucked in the pocket of the manual binder. :D

IMG_6904.JPG

Last but not least t looks like it has a newer capstan belt:

IMG_6906.JPG

Adrian Pro Audio

is the place I've heard recommended over and over. Very reputable. Been around since the 70s. They are in Canoga Park, which is near where I live (I used to live there). It's the closest vintage tech place I know of in my neck of the woods. I've never had to use them, but someday...:eek: I used to drive by it numerous times, back in the day. If I needed something done, I'd take it there.

I had a feeling. Wow! Good for you. You still have the one you fixed up right? If so, are you still going to sell this one? Those heads look like they have 60-70% head life left on em. I'd be curious to know if they were relapped too. Maybe email the seller. The head guards don't have a ton of wear from the looks of it, but it's hard to tell on my end. That's one of the best scores I've seen all year. Even a Reel Person came out of the woodwork for it (I don't know him but I've seen his pictures and read his threads for a year before I actually signed up for this forum.)

I sold the one I recalled and refurbished years ago. I need the money so this one will be flipped after it's gone through. ;)

As far as the record/play headstack, there's absolutely no way to know how much tip-depth there still exists after the relap, but the work looks very nice, and was done by a reputable shop. So what's most important is the wear pattern looks even (only minor hourglass and no trapezoid). The zenith is fixed, so any trapezoidal wear pattern would indicate an uneven lap job. The edge slots look very nice. I haven't been able to get my jeweler's loupe and a good light yet to check the wrap angle. But it looks good so far. My point is there's no way without fancy equipment to know the percent life left, so what's important now is how does the wear pattern present and was the head setup right after the relap. The proof will be revealed during calibration. But nothing tells me it's a dud at all yet. :)

Last edited:
Back