2 Otari MTR-10 Questions

dodgeaspen

Short and sweet, (I hope) Does anyone know where I can find the part number for the the little lamps in the function switches (FF,RR, ETC)? I can not find it in the manual. Also, do you know where I can buy them cheap? Question two. I haven't aligned or calibrated this machine yet so it may be that simple, but I have noticed that if I record something on channel 1 and 2 and play it back either using the built in speaker or my console, I notice that if I disengage the channel 1 or 2 button the music becomes more clear and rich. The same goes for using the console. If I lower the fader for channel 1 channel 2 sounds better and the other way around. Does this make sense? Any ideas? Thanks.

Can you put up a pic of the lamp?

What do you mean "if I disengage the channel 1 or channel 2 button..."?

Does it still do it on the transport monitor speaker if you disconnect the output cables from the MTR-10?

No pics of the lamps because I didn't want to take it apart until I had the part in my hand. I might have to pull it after all. Yes, I notice the sound diffrence on the transport speaker both with and without the output cables connected. Here is the pic of the buttons I was referring to.

IMG_1406.jpg

Yeah, Ed, if I'm going to be any help on the lamps (and no promises anyway) I'm gonna have to see the lamp.

And your output problem...w-i-e-r-d.

So there's no way to get clear stereo audio out of the thing?

What happens if you record tone onto track 1 of a clean section of tape and then reproduce? Is there excessive bleed to track 2?

And does the issue happen when monitoring off of the sync head OR the reproduce head?

Yeah, Ed, if I'm going to be any help on the lamps (and no promises anyway) I'm gonna have to see the lamp.

And your output problem...w-i-e-r-d.

So there's no way to get clear stereo audio out of the thing?

What happens if you record tone onto track 1 of a clean section of tape and then reproduce? Is there excessive bleed to track 2?

And does the issue happen when monitoring off of the sync head OR the reproduce head?

I'll test this and get back to you. And yes, same issue from sync and repro head.

your output problem sounds like an azimuth issue to me.....

-chris mara
www.nobraineraudio.com
www.welcometo1979.com

Hey Chris what's up? I'm not sure what to think at this point. I've never performed an alignment or calibration before so I hope I can catch on fast. I don't even have a cal tape for it yet. Cory and I were talking about the right tape for this deck a few weeks ago and If I'm understanding him right I can go with a +6 (RMG) or I might be able to squeeze +9 (ATR) Not sure what I want to do at this point. If I go +9 then if I get another deck in the future more then likely I'll need to recall that deck to +9 as well. I think when I'm ready I'll go to a +6 Anyway, just thinking' out loud. Have a good weekend.

Ed...is the issue happening with material recorded on another deck, or recorded on the MTR, or both?

Then I don't think its an azimuth issue because in that case it would be unlikely that the issue would occur with material recorded both on another machine and on the MTR. If azimuth is bad you won't notice it when recording and playing back in sync on the same transport, but try to reproduce something on that same transport and it'll surface, or reproduce something tracked on another deck using the sync head and it'll surface. If it was azimuth you should be able to record and reproduce using the sync head on he MTR and it should work.

These are the best pics I could get. The lamp is a grain of wheat type. The two leads wrap around the bottom of the holder. What do you make of this? Thanks.
100_4243.jpg

100_4245.jpg

Ed, another thought...LED's so rarely go out...I mean, they have a really long life and typically they don't go out unless they've been overloaded. Are you sure that power is getting to the LED? Have you tested the LED with a diode tester or even with a couple AA batteries or something?

Yes, my father in law checked and it's the light that is the problem. They are not led's they are incandescent lamps. Would you go to LED's? It might be a good idea.

dodgeaspen, I think I gave you the info on TTP website regarding those lamps, if not, let me know and I can dig the info out again, you can get them at Mouser, they are a Chicago Minature lamp, 5v...

I remember asking this question on another forum but don't remember what one it was. I went to the site you suggested and found nothing on a Chicago Minature lamp, 5v... So if you can give me the info again I would appreciate it.

your output problem sounds like an azimuth issue to me.....

I've had Azimuth problems before it definitely wasn't like this.

That depends on what the VU Meters are showing in Repro.
If they are both reading the same, they should be "ok" at the very least.
Do both of your Meters read the same Levels? Continuously?
Try Reproducing some 1khz tones and observe the VU's.
Do you own a MultiMeter?

I was gonna suggest that maybe the problem lays in the Output Amplifier,Connectors,etc
but then I remembered that the channels "both" sound good when they are played alone... WIERD!

Back