1980 Teac 144 On The Way

Sexy Heather

TG Girl
I have one on the way:

C02A3655-7D39-4E16-B1E1-D0DD33DDA77C-1274-000000DB07A9595F_zps809f72b0.jpg

Mine is not working (it does power on), otherwise, it appears to be in good shape. I have 6 other Portastudios (688, 424, 424mkII, 564, DP-01FX/CD, DP-004), and I always wanted a 144. It will take some work to restore, but it will be fun and totally worth it. :) The 144 holds a special place for me. My first Portastudio was a new Porta One in January 1988. I was aware of the 144 from 1980, but I never had the money to get one, or a 244/246. The Porta One really represented something upon it's arrival in 1979. Thankfully, Tascam continues to offer great gear to this day, gear that is very intuitive to use and inspiring. Anyway, I'm looking forward to my 144, and will keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
This model was the first multitrack I bought for personal home use about 1980. At the time I had just finished a stint working and learning in a TV studio and was working in a mid-size recording studio, but this is what I could afford for myself. I did a lot of great stuff on it. What I was doing with this thing at home blew people away at the time. When I told people I was doing it all myself on a little cassette multitrack some thought I was out right yanking their chains until I brought them over and showed them.

I had a cheap spring reverb, an even cheaper drum machine, an analog echo that was part of a small Yamaha submixer (don’t remember the model and I never see them on eBay or anywhere else). I also had a Wurlitzer electric piano, an Epiphone Les Paul, a couple mics and my voice… and that’s it… oh, and a couple effects pedals and access to a full Steinway grand at my church. I only used TDK SA and SA-X C-60’s and C-90’s. I would walk from my house a couple blocks to my church at night with this little gem under my arm, so I could record piano and then bring it home to put down the other parts. It really lived up to its name as an all-in-one porta-studio. I modded it by running some wires from the record button to a ¼” jack on the back so I could punch in and out with a footswitch. It was a bit scary taking it all apart and drilling a hole in it! The first model that came with a jack for punch-in footswitch was the 244. Fun days!

Enjoy!

That is awesome! I'm hoping to use my 144 to record some tunes I wrote in the early '80s, for a period-correct vibe. I also have a fair amount of early '80s instruments, effects and other gear, so I might make the whole project using gear from that era, mastering to cassette, before transferring to digital. Retro tech (and new tech) is awesome! :-)

Last edited:
That's a really awesome-looking machine. I hope you're able to get it up and running at full steam. I've been so bummed out lately because I think I'm going to have to part with my latest pride and joy, an Audio Technica AT RMX64 (cassette 4-track). It's an amazing machine from 1985 that has the kitchen sink built-in, including 6 channels all with phantom power! It has an all metal chassis and weighs 50 pounds (literally). If you're interested, here's a thread that detailed me repairing some burnt out VU meter bulbs on it.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...a-rmx64-cassette-4-track-repair-story-344695/

It's had other issues too with the tape transport, and I've already made some repairs. But more issues keep popping up, now including warbly playback. I think I've finally reached the end of my rope with it. I sold a Tascam 424MKIII to buy this machine on CL for $65, and now I think I'm going to have to sell this one for parts and look for another 424MKIII or something similar.

I just have too many other repair projects on my desk right now, and I need a 4-track that's going to work because I really hate having to resort to digital recording.

Anyway ... I sincerely hope you're able to get the 144 up to speed. It looks like a great machine! :)

Awesome looking machine, that Audio-Technica! I'll have more regarding the state of my 144 when it arrives next week. :-)

It arrived today:

3E3A109F-1938-4011-9DE6-30A26747CFA2-4325-000007B11C4D4A3D_zpsd9391059.jpg

It needs 2 fader covers, a bulb, a button, a belt and a cleaning. Otherwise, it's in good shape for a 33 year old machine!

Nice. I was listening the other day to a demo I played on and engineered in 1986 on a 246. That one was borrowed, and by the time I obtained one of my own (traded a Fender Twin for it), I was into the married/house/kids/career thing and didn't have time to use it.

Love the old Tascan stuff. I recently had a minor coronary when my neighbor (who teaches recording at a local college) told me they were cleaning out a store room at the school, and hauled an old Tascam mixer to the dumpster. In my mind, it was worth saving just for the knobs alone.

I have now cleaned it, and am locating a few parts. Then, replace the belt and I'll see what else is needed.

82FF89FC-C305-405D-B476-81D56D78E978-1339-00000465B2AAC8C7_zps44da480e.jpg

Last edited:
Back