1966 Sunset Sound Ampex AG-300 1" 8-track

thanks ...

i actually scored some Scotch 206, so I'm gonna stick with 206. If I can locate 201, 202 or 203, I'm gonna switch to that.

I do have a carton of NOS 406 in 1" - 2003 I think - but they are my emergency 'RMGI-and-ATR-go-bust' store so I'd want to replace them with 456 or something, and 5 of those would be expensive. Shipping them to the 'wrong' side of the US would be costly too :-/

ha, yeh it would probably be costly. I know of a couple places online with NOS 1" 406 from the last run, about $80 per reel. To tell you the truth, I'm partial to the Scotch brand, so I've held off ordering the 406. I may have to though at some point.

I'm also somewhat skeptical of any Ampex/Quantegy backcoated tape. I've had some problems with 2005-ish tape changing over time. I guess I'm saying I trust the old Scotch formulas (or the old-old pre-backcoated Ampex, etc.) more. And, I think the Scotch stuff has a better sound.

Just wanted to say congrats on the score. How cool to own a piece of recording history and actually be able to use it as well!

nah you just hunch down !

(PS - order shipped - THANKS! ya got any physical media out?)

Sorry, you mean mine? I have a bunch of booklets printed and I burn CDs on demand. I'm too scared of the tax implications to sell them, but I do usually bring a set of them as handouts to a convention I attend in summer. If you're asking, I could make up a bunch for you. The new album is almost ready, I'm aiming to have the CD booklets printed next month.

More!

Reviving an old thread (and my first on this forum).
I just brought home another one of these, this one from American Studios in Memphis. It’s also and 8-track with sel/sync.

This one tracked a bunch of Elvis tunes, Son of a Preacher Man and Sweet Caronline!

Due to lack of tape stock, I’m going to put it on display in my guest house and just revive the meters as a bit of a light show. Wish they were still usable...

New tape is available...good NOS tape can be found as well as gold used tape...499, SM911, SM900, ATR...

Back