1960s Juliette mini reel-to-reel recorder

diggy_dude

Now 169% diggier!
This has got to be one of the most beautiful machines I've ever seen in my life! And it's in working condition!!! :D

1.jpg
7.jpg
10.jpg
3.jpg
9.jpg
2.jpg
8.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg

They look like they're 3 inches. I won't know until it arrives. I copied the pics from the Ebay listing.

Anyone know where I can get tape for it? :D

Cool little recorder, diggy! :)

I'm not sure where you could get 3" reels of tape any more but I would guess someone on ebay will offer some up eventually!

Cheers! :)

Yeah...just keep your eyes out for more reels and then you can always get larger panckes or reels and spool them off onto the 3" reels.

I have a few 3" reels that contain audio letters from my older sister (w/ grandma) to parents (U. S. Navy must have been living somewhere else) I listened to them once on a Sony I had, can't remember the speed, (the Sony was 3 speed, 7.5 the fastest and I'm guessing these were 1 7/8 ) and I don't have the Sony deck anymore. If you can find some reels, one or two 7" reels of Ampex 641 ought to be just right to spin down.

Cool!

If you can find some reels, one or two 7" reels of Ampex 641 ought to be just right to spin down.

For the best sound quality this thing can provide you need a very low bias (standard) tape, something like Scotch 111 or 141. 641 probably won't work well, if at all, you tape from the 60s. 111, if you can find it, could be too brittle to use, but anything with a polyester base of that era should be fine.

If memory serves, these used DC bias, and only the minimum at that, which is why they can't record on "modern" tapes. Probably use a permanent magnet for erase. The speed is variable over the length of the tape, as it's a rim-drive, and there is no capstan. It'll start at around 2ips, end around 4 or 5ips. Most recorders like this have a variable speed control. The manuals always stated clearly these are "not for music". The same amp is used for record and play, and it's doubtful there is anything resembling standard EQ. What can you do with only 4 germanium transistors? Many use a couple of C cells for the motor and a 9V battery for the amp.

My first recorder was a Mayfair. Similar design, but at least twice the sizes. The Juliette recorders were a bit more expensive, but built pretty well.

This Juliette model was sold under a couple of other names (Lloyd's TP-566W, Star-lite ST-666 Statesman) with slight cosmetic variations. This LT-44 was imported by Topp Import & Export of Miami. The owner's manual confirms DC bias and permanent magnet.

The Juliette had 4 transistors but used one as a diode. Within the next couple of years, electronics manufacturers would be touting transistor counts on the front panel, and even adding gratuitous transistors to up the count for promotional purposes.

Last edited:
For the best sound quality this thing can provide you need a very low bias (standard) tape, something like Scotch 111 or 141. 641 probably won't work well, if at all, you tape from the 60s. 111, if you can find it, could be too brittle to use, but anything with a polyester base of that era should be fine.

scotch 102 is the poly version of 111.

I'm slowly acquiring a small stash of new-in-box 3" tapes designed for these "spycorders". Thanks for all the advice on refills, guys! :D

Back