16 track Reel to Reel opinions/mixer recommendations

diskobox

hello, i've currently got a tascam 488 mkII, but im looking to upgrade to 16 track reel to reel. From other topics i have gathered that the Tascam Msr-16s is the kind of thing im looking for. I've read that this machine is better than the Fostex E16 in terms of build and durability, plus i would like the msr-16s rather than the msr-16 cos of dolby s. What are the general opinions on these machines, or any other for that fact, bearing in mind that the reel to reel recorders using more than 1/2" tape are probably out of my price range. How much do you think i could buy an Msr-16s for? and also, could anybody recommend some mixers i could check out to go with it?

thanks, Ian

If I had known you were going to double post your question, which is a no-no around these parts, I would have never given you the long and detailed answer that I just did in the other part of the bbs you also posted in. :rolleyes:

sorry about that - i am new to this area, and the only reason i did it, was because i realised after posting it in the tascam area, i thought perhaps tascam users may be slightly biased in their opinions. sorry, i didn't mean to offend anyone! Ian

diskobox said:
sorry about that - i am new to this area, and the only reason i did it, was because i realised after posting it in the tascam area, i thought perhaps tascam users may be slightly biased in their opinions. sorry, i didn't mean to offend anyone! Ian
No problem. ;)

As for some of us being biased, I think when it comes to recording gear, everybody is biased one way or another. :D

Cheers! :)

Back