1500 Gauss bulk eraser... good enough??

ethyrvalve

Norman Nanoweber
Hi,
I recently picked up an old full-track Ampex AG-350 deck in a console (so far it's working perfectly ) and the seller threw in a TD-1B 1500 Gauss bulk eraser. It's like this one: http://www.audiolabelectronics.com/TD-1b.htm
I was wondering what tape formats i could reasonably expect to erase on this unit? For instance if I found some cheap used 1/2" and 1" tape that had been used on different track configurations than my machines (tascam 58 and MS-16) do you think this eraser would be sufficient?
I primarily use high output tape (n.o.s 996 and ATR).
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
thanks. i love that thing.
i only weight like a buck forty but i somehow willed myself into lifting the damn thing by myself (i really should have learned from a near catastrophe involving: a nutcase [me], a tascam m520, and a staircase)... to quote graham gouldman: "the things we do for love"

That eraser should easily do 1/4" tapes, it's probably been used for that exact purpose with the Ampex.

You could try it on 1/2" tape but might need to experiment until you get a perfect erase like I did on my machine (see attached pic).

You'll know when it doesn't 100% erase because there will be some slight sssswwwwhosshing sounds on the edge tracks on playback!!!!!!

I just twist my tapes around slowly around half a min on each side still inside the box & bring the tape slowly to & from the machine & it works perfect!!!

Never tried 1" far tapes so but anyone who want's to lend me a 1" machine please feel free to do so!

Attachments

• Bulk eraser degausser.jpg
    Bulk eraser degausser.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 35
The TD-1B is a nice unit and will easily do up to 1/2" tape. Be sure to run the tape on both sides (flip the reel). It may do 1" but certainly not 2". The gauss strength of a bulk eraser is usually measured 1/4" from the business end of the eraser. Gauss diminishes from there.

:)

Back