Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 15 ips bass boost

Thanks

15 ips bass boost

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've heard about a bass boost or compression that occurs at 15 ips, but does not happen at 30 ips. Is there such a boost at 7.5 ips? Or is there something magical about 15 ips?

Just curious. Thanks,
    -MD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themaddog
    I've heard about a bass boost or compression that occurs at 15 ips, but does not happen at 30 ips. Is there such a boost at 7.5 ips? Or is there something magical about 15 ips?

Just curious. Thanks,
    -MD
    30 ips loses alot of that "magic" compression simply because the tape at that speed cannot capture the bass. The best speed is, of course, 22.5 ips. at that speed you get 1/2 the benefit of 15 ips (the low bass w/ compression) and 1/2 the benefit of 30 ips (noise reduction/high end clarity). However, this was never the standard. I always use 15 ips on my 1/2 inch and 2" machines because it saves $$$ on tape and I really don't hear much difference (except for a loss in the bass) at 30 ips.

PS: at 7.5 ips, you still get the bass compression, but you also get the "hiss" big time.

Thanks
    Thanks!

-MD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acorec
    PS: at 7.5 ips, you still get the bass compression, but you also get the "hiss" big time.
    I feel that "hiss" and it being a "problem" is very subjective. I use my TEAC 3440 and Quantegy 407 (I prefer it over 456) and although there is a bit of tape hiss, it is there in the background without it being a problem at all. In fact, I think it enhances the character of the analog sound. (And that's only at 7 1/2 ips mind you). Now, what I can't stand is an audio recording with no audible trace of tape hiss! How's that for subjective ?

~Daniel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cjacek
    I feel that "hiss" and it being a "problem" is very subjective. I use my TEAC 3440 and Quantegy 407 (I prefer it over 456) and although there is a bit of tape hiss, it is there in the background without it being a problem at all. In fact, I think it enhances the character of the analog sound. (And that's only at 7 1/2 ips mind you). Now, what I can't stand is an audio recording with no audible trace of tape hiss! How's that for subjective ?

~Daniel
    No, hiss is a problem and is not subjective at all. If it were subjective and not a problem, then 2" 30 ips would have not been invented.

a TEAC 3440, being a four track home stereo machine is alot different than a 2" 24 track machine. I am sure that if you ran a 24 track machine at 7 1/2 ips you would definitely think there was a problem with the hiss. At that point, it would not be subjective. It would be rejective.

Have a great chrismas and a happy new year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acorec
    No, hiss is a problem and is not subjective at all. If it were subjective and not a problem, then 2" 30 ips would have not been invented.

a TEAC 3440, being a four track home stereo machine is alot different than a 2" 24 track machine. I am sure that if you ran a 24 track machine at 7 1/2 ips you would definitely think there was a problem with the hiss. At that point, it would not be subjective. It would be rejective.

Have a great chrismas and a happy new year.
    I'm not saying that one cannot hear tape "hiss". It's there. I know. What I'm saying is that for one person it might be "too much hiss" and for someone else it might be "the hiss is not bad at all". The same amount of "hiss" is there, obviously, but individuals react to it differently. That's what I mean by "subjective". Now, I'm not sure how a 24 track, 2" tape machine sounds going at 7 1/2ips, but isn't that like recording 3 tracks on 1/4" tape ? The tracks on a 2" 24 track machine would AT LEAST be the same width as my 3440 example. The electronics on a 24 track machine would also be top of the line. Therefore, it's hard for me to believe that a 2" 24 track machine, running at 7 1/2 ips, wouldn't have a similar S/N ratio as my 3440 running at the same speed.

Merry Christmas to you too and have a great new year 2005!

~Daniel

Thanks
    The problem your missing is that instead of 3 tracks of hiss, you have 24 tracks of hiss. If the hiss is the same on all the tracks, every track will add another 3db of hiss. That adds up very fast. Not to mention any additional high end you might need to eq into a few of the tracks (adding to the hiss) to make what ever is on those tracks sound right.
    Last edited by Farview; 12-23-2004 at 12:57.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview
    The problem your missing is that instead of 3 tracks of hiss, you have 24 tracks of hiss. If the hiss is the same on all the tracks, every track will add another 3db of hiss. That adds up very fast. Not to mention any additional high end you might need to eq a few of the tracks (adding to the hiss) to make what ever is on those tracks sound right.
    Ok, my bad. You guys are right. Thanks for explaining.

~Daniel

Thanks
    i've been wondering about this question also, i was told that it is a myth that 15 i.p.s. boosts bass response,i was told that 30 i.p.s. picks up high frequencys better and the lack of that at 15 i.p.s. makes people think they're
    getting a better bass response at 15 i.p.s.

Thanks
    It is a combination of the lack of highs and the way that the low end gets smooshed together at 15 ips that gives you the sound.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thread Information