1 inch 16 track Studios? (USA)

CaliGal

Music Industry Veteran
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any people still running a 1 inch 16 track machine to do some transfers to DAW? I mostly recorded 2" 24 track (already transferred) but have a few 1" reels left to move over. There only 3 reels - one for sure is 15ips (5 songs) the other 2 aren't documented on the track sheets, but were done at the same studio (Trax in L.A. - now defunct) at different times and only contain 2 songs each going by the sheets...

I've seen a few high end places that would cost as much as just buying a machine and doing it myself, but hopefully there are better options - even though the 1" machines seem to be less common.

I'm experienced with tape baking if needed, though when we did all the 2" reels we found it wasn't necessary - though the 1/4" ones did need it.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Sonicraft is a superb facility. I'd second the recommendation if you have the budget. Richard Hess (Richard L. Hess — Mary Beth Hess Home Page) in Ontario has a great reputation as well (he's got a 1" 16-track headstack for the very nice Sony APR-16).

If the budget is low, I could do it for my mid-week day rate ($150 Canadian which is $120ish US). I can only do 15ips though if you have any fear that there might be a 30ips tape among them. Shipping could be pricey.

You might also find some local 1" tape studios if you try the Tape Op forum.

Sonicraft is a superb facility. I'd second the recommendation if you have the budget. Richard Hess (Richard L. Hess — Mary Beth Hess Home Page) in Ontario has a great reputation as well (he's got a 1" 16-track headstack for the very nice Sony APR-16).

If the budget is low, I could do it for my mid-week day rate ($150 Canadian which is $120ish US). I can only do 15ips though if you have any fear that there might be a 30ips tape among them. Shipping could be pricey.

You might also find some local 1" tape studios if you try the Tape Op forum.

Thanks for the offer - The budget is low and material isn't earth shattering stuff.

Well I'm hopeful they are all 15ips - being done at the same facility... Shipping would only be one way - I don't need the tape back. But there is a sliver of doubt the unmarked reels might have gone to 30ips since they are only 2 songs each. I'll look around and see if I can find someone with 15+30 but may be getting back to you... I've been on Tape Op, Gearsluts and Tapeheads too - thanks again!

One option is to do them at 15 and if they're actually 30, double the speed in the DAW. They'll be a bit off-spec because the eq curve is likely to be different, but I doubt it's anything that couldn't be adjusted for in the mix.

One option is to do them at 15 and if they're actually 30, double the speed in the DAW. They'll be a bit off-spec because the eq curve is likely to be different, but I doubt it's anything that couldn't be adjusted for in the mix.

Thanks,, yes I had considered that, but figured it wouldn't really be ideal as it would likely mess with the tonality which might potentially be difficult to accurately duplicate...

Meanwhile I've found a place in Portland that's good fit I think, and we have been exchanging email - they have a machine that does both 15 & 30 and ProTools on OSX. A long way for me to ship tape, but this gets it done!

I found a few people with machines that didn't quite fit -
1. Didn't have any working DAW
2. Had the 1" 16 Track machine, but it wasn't working
3. Had a 1" 16 Track machine, but it was only 15ips

Actually JP the EQ is perfectly accurate if you do this, since 30 AES is the same as 15 IEC when the tape speed is halved (and is the same as 7.5 IEC if it is halved again). Check the MRL web site on this.

However, when I got a 30ips 1/2" 16T tape in here to transfer a couple of years ago I verified that by transferring my 30 AES MRL tape at 15ips, then changing the file header to play it back at double speed. I watched the tone run on my DAW meters and sure enough, it was flat. I've only ever had to use this trick on 1/2" 16T tapes because 30ips 1/2" 16T machines are like hens' teeth, whereas all my other machines will do 15 and 30.

The only issue anyone might have with this technique is if dbx noise reduction was used. Then it precludes using dbx during the transfer itself because the de-emphasis and the time constants would be off. However, almost no one would use noise reduction when recording at 30ips, so you will probably be fine.

Good luck!

David Ollard
Thin Brown Line
Multitrack Analog to Digital Transfers

Actually JP the EQ is perfectly accurate if you do this, since 30 AES is the same as 15 IEC when the tape speed is halved (and is the same as 7.5 IEC if it is halved again).

Yes - I forgot that the TASCAM machines are always IEC and assumed it would be NAB for 15ips.

But yes, whether the tapes were DBX or not is another matter.

Thanks to all for the suggestions - I've found someone in OR that had everything I need so I'm all set!

Back