Thread: 1/4" MRL Tape

Thanks

Exclamation 1/4" MRL Tape

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm not trying to skip the inevitable process of having most likely to go out and buy one of these, but...

By slim chance, does anyone have an extra one they'd like to sell at a reduced price or anything?

I'd like to calibrate my Fostex Model 80, and I'm sure you all most likely know by now how expensive these tapes are lol. Anywhere from $120-$150.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with one they'd like to get rid of.

Also, is it realistic to suggest I might be able to run tones from my computer to the machine and get a reasonable result?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    You can use a signal generator or your computer to do SOME of the alignment, but AFAIK there is no practical substitute for using a proper alignment tape.

AK

Thanks
    You need the alignment tape for the reproduce level and EQ adjustments. These are critical, because if the reproduce levels are off and non flat, you can't properly adjust the recording level and EQ parameters.

You'll want an IEC, 15 ips (I think the 80 is 15 ips...) +3nWb/m tape. You'll also want a service manual if you don't already have one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by avieth View Post
    You need the alignment tape for the reproduce level and EQ adjustments. These are critical, because if the reproduce levels are off and non flat, you can't properly adjust the recording level and EQ parameters.

You'll want an IEC, 15 ips (I think the 80 is 15 ips...) +3nWb/m tape. You'll also want a service manual if you don't already have one.

I have the manual that came with the 80 - But is there another separate manual I would need? If so, where would I get it?

Thanks
    Yeah, Sonice, what Analog Kid Avieth are saying is spot-on. Running tones from your computer (or any signal generator) will do the input side of the deck...calibrate your meters and your input level and eq (if you have them) trimmers.

You see, with the signal generator you can set those input controls to that known level coming of the tone generator, which is what you have to do so you have a known value to which to calibrate.

Now, for the reproduce side of things, how do you get your known value to calibrate the reproduce electronics (levels, eq's)? You can't do it from the input side. It has to be off of tape and that's why the cal tape is needed. It is manufactured on equipment not found in your home or my home. It has a consistent and known value set of tones to which you can reference your deck. Gotta have the cal tape.

I've heard of people trying to make thier own cal tapes on their deck, but then the best you'll have is a cal tape that includes the anomalies and maladjustments of your own deck. Its the blind leading the blind.

Thanks
    I have the manual that came with the 80 - But is there another separate manual I would need? If so, where would I get it?
    Is your manual 17 pages? If so then yeah you only have the Owner's Manual and there is also a Service Manual. Quite a bit longer and has all the adjustment/maintenance stuff, PCB layouts, parts lists and schematics. You'd know if you have it.

I'm sorry to say I haven't got the Service Manual for the 80, just the Owner's Manual. Somebody around here might tho', but I recommend you contact Fostex and see if they can help you with that. Be prepared to pay for it, but if you are serious about maintaining your own deck to this level it will be a very worthwhile expense.

Thread Information