Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 mono reel to reel - worth the trouble?

Thanks

1/4 mono reel to reel - worth the trouble?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have a 3m suitcase style reel to reel with a tube amp inside it. I bought it from a guy at a swap meet for $5. hehe with mullard tubes

I have some computer editing software and i was wondering if it would be better to get a 4 track r2r though i doubt i could find a valve powered one. Or record tracks separately and then convert them to digital.

I've never used another r2r besides this one so I dont know if having a tube circuitry on what was a cheaper machine would be compared to a more professional transistorized r2r.

also does a mono reel to reel deck record to the whole 1/4 inch?

oh, it doubles as an amplifier too. it has a built in speaker and a ext. speaker output. doesnt sound great. for some reason its too quite when playing through it, but if i record and then play it back it is twice as loud.

thanks alot... i hope this hasnt been asked before. ive spent the last 2 hours searching the forums.

Thanks
    I wouldn't bother with this or any machine of its type. Sound quality is not likely to be very good by today's standards even if it is in perfect working order.
    Rick Ruskin
    Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
    http://liondogmusic.com

Thanks
    Yeah, sound quality is likely to be on the poor side. I believe those type of untis do record to the whole track. Might be interesting to play back sound recorded on that deck to get that 'vintage' sound, especially for voice - like the old radio programs.

AK

Thanks
    since it has a SE tube amp and can record maybe I will just use it for practice. That way I wont forget something cool i come up with. Id still rather have a small digital recorder. I just bought the boss space echo. damn! i should got the recorder instead. Well, that is one good thing about GC. Actually the guitar center here in Sacramento is way better than the local music store, Skip's Music. I wanted to like Skip's. Really I did, but I found there service to be what you would expect at a wal-mart on top of alot of the staff being really upitty. Sure GC is a corpse-o-rat but the people working here in the Sacramento store are not only helpful, but are really down to earth and love to talk about music.

Thanks
    It won't necessarily record on the whole tape. I have one mono recorder that records on the whole tape at 15ips which is really good quality, then I have another, a wollensak that is mono but records on half the tape at 7ips. So you record "both sides" of the tape in mono.

You may be able to use it as a tape echo if it has 3 heads. Especially if it has a pitch control.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I have one mono recorder that records on the whole tape at 15ips which is really good quality, ...
    Have you actually got it recording/playing? What's story?
    Knowledge is calculable, Ignorance has no limits.
    Dr ZEE
    MZE | Dr ZEE WORKSHOP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheric View Post
    I have a 3m suitcase style reel to reel with a tube amp inside it. ....
    what exactly model is it?
    Dr ZEE
    MZE | Dr ZEE WORKSHOP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I have one ...
    btw, Steve,
    I was (still kinda' am) trying to hunt down one of those things of "its type" , it's not an easy task.
    I've missed this one, - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380039834148, then there was another unit (two channel one ???) in rather questionable condition (or batter say - situation, things like hanging cut wires out of it etc ), but it also had few boxes of extra heads, I should of bid on it -
    Those things are the things to HAVE! for guys who (softly speaking )have no interest in "today's standards" of "quality" .
    Dr ZEE
    MZE | Dr ZEE WORKSHOP

Thanks
    What's up Mike!

I still have "concertone" on my ebay watch list and have yet to see that model. They must be rare. I can't find it anywhere on the internet. There are alot of the others, which I bet sound great. Of course they are kind of limiting being mono.

I can't really use mine. I've recorded on it and the quality to tape is great but it's too clunky, mechanically in it's present condition. So I use the preamp when I need to but there must be others in better condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr ZEE View Post

btw, Steve,
    I was (still kinda' am) trying to hunt down one of those things of "its type" , it's not an easy task.
    I've missed this one, - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380039834148, then there was another unit (two channel one ???) in rather questionable condition (or batter say - situation, things like hanging cut wires out of it etc ), but it also had few boxes of extra heads, I should of bid on it -
    Those things are the things to HAVE! for guys who (softly speaking )have no interest in "today's standards" of "quality" .

Thanks
    Mike, check out this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=001

Skully 1" 8 track on ebay. If you click his myspace page you can hear it in action. They sound pretty sweet.

Thread Information